topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Find and remove duplicate files  (Read 45781 times)

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Find and remove duplicate files
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2008, 09:18 AM »
Well, a shortcut is just a .lnk file so presumably any program that can detect duplicate files that aren't standard image etc files should do.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2008, 10:33 AM »
Yes that is true but there is a special case with shortcuts. I want this dup finder app to check out the corresponding exe files and show me the ink files that points out the same exe. So it is not just the name of the .ink file also what they are representing is important.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 04:32 PM »
Hi

this is a just free download, not a free program? I do not think I want to spend 32 dollars to remove some shortcuts at this point.

thanks for recommendation thou.

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009, 06:18 PM »
There is an excellent free program to manage/remove shortcuts.  See ShortcutsMan at www.nirsoft.net

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2009, 06:55 PM »
jdd thanks for suggestion but that one has nothing to do with I was looking for :) This mainly shows broken shortcuts.

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2009, 06:18 AM »
Checking the size and last change date ist ok in most cases, but is any program out there that uses additional file-informations to check the versions?

It´s possible that s a newer version has a smaller size. On the other hand sometimes you´re forced not to delete all versions except the newest. Some special places like the winsxs or the dllcache need different versions to make all programs run the right way. It would be cool if some programs would handle these folders different from the others.

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2009, 09:10 AM »
Kartal, I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for but it lists every *.ink file along with its target exe file.  The list can be sorted by broken and NON-broken shortcuts.  It also lists the name and path for both, among other things.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:16 AM by jdd »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2009, 11:02 AM »
jdd, I have 6000 shortcuts. I doubt I would waste my whole day trying to clean up the duplicates :) I will use it for smaller tasks thou.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2009, 08:01 AM »
I am looking for a program that can remove duplicate shortcuts. any ideas?

Just my 5 cents into the matter - try this free prog to <removed link>. Hope it's not too late for recommendation...
The products from this company have been repeatedly pushed by new members to DC which only register, post a "recommendation" for the software right after and then never come back. see here (on this same thread).
I believe this is becoming not only annoying but also deceiving for users reading the forum. I personally would never download software from a company that follows this kind of practices.

flaisoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2009, 06:35 AM »
How does your program do with files that are not in English?, I have a lot of files then have files names in Chinese and are written in Chinese.

(Edited wording)

You can try Duplicate Radar, the world's fastest duplicate finder which supports Unicode filename. It searches   duplicate files regardless of file name. It compares the file content of files to ensure that a exact identical files result would be shown.

Duplicate Radar has a user-friendly and easy-to-use user interface. Even a user without any experience of using Duplicate Radar before can search duplicate files within several minutes simply by clicking few buttons.

Duplicate Radar is one of the fastest duplicate files searching program in the world. It uses so much low-level routines to speed up the whole process includes using assembly instructions in the major procedures. Everyone can understand thoroughly its speedy searching by comparing to other similar programs.

Unlike other programs, Duplicate Radar does really read any file, even file name in multilanguage! So the result won't miss anything. It only requires that an Unicode-compatible Operating System was used like Windows 2000, XP, 2003 or Vista.

The searching engine of Duplicate Radar supports 64-bit file size. It has no problem even your files are very very large as big as 10GB because Duplicate Radar read files for any size!

After the search is completed, you can copy or move the duplicate files to your desired destination. Or you may delete them which have been marked by you before. Action of rename a file is also provided.

The powerful marker allows you to mark files by date, by file pattern or by folder. This enables you to mark files easily and save time without clicking each file separately.

Any important folders and can be defined to be excluded from scanning altogether. Duplicate Radar can ignore from searching some file extensions that you defined.

The result in Duplicate Radar can be exported in CSV, Excel's XLS, HTML or XML format for further review purpose. You can save each format with forced Unicode exportation. 

With the help of the internal image viewer, the image files can be view instantly in a thumbnail-sized window, so you don't need to start other image processing program for the popular formats. The internal image viewer supports BMP, JPEG, TIFF, PNG, PCX, TGA, GIF, WMF, EMF, ICO, PCD and PSD formats.

Duplicate Radar search for any disk drive even works with removable media devices like Floppy, DVD-Rom, USB, Flash disk, etc..

Duplicate Radar can save result automatically & shutdown your PC after search completed if you like to do so.

The Business Edition of Duplicate Radar provides an easy-to-use schedule function. Now you can perform a daily, weekly or monthly searching. It may be very useful for the system admin. of I.T. department. You can specify an email address for the delivery of the result files after schedule searching. The Professionl Edition can search duplicate files between computers by network. You may not know that you have saved a same file to not less than one home computer. Let Duplicate Radar finds them for you automatically in minutes.

You can download your copy of Duplicate Radar at flaisoft.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2013, 11:49 AM »
This thread is a spammer honeypot, so I've locked it. If you wish to discuss this subject, please create a new topic.