ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HowTo EASILY create image backup?

<< < (3/10) > >>

yksyks:
To f0dder:

Are you sure? I thought the XML contains just pointers to a real bitmap image of the disk! If you're right it's no disk image then. In fact so far I didn't need to restore the complete disk (luckily), just parts of damaged folders, and everything worked as expected.

f0dder:
If you look at the XML files generated by DI XML, you'll see that it includes file and folder information. But it also does seem to keep the files fragmented etc... I don't know if the file/folder names and information is just to be able to browse the backup files "offline", or if it's because the image file isn't actually a 1:1 image of the partition you're backing up: backing up my 4GB source partition results in a 1.9GB image file, without compression - so it obviously only backs up used parts, I don't know if this includes filesystem metadata information or not.

A RAW backup in DI XML, on the other hand, generates an image file the same size as the partition, and a much smaller .xml file without all the per-file information.

Curt:
A RAW backup in DI XML, on the other hand, generates an image file the same size as the partition, ...-f0dder (April 08, 2008, 08:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

"same size"... hmm... "same size as the partition", not "as the content" ? What then: can I not create an RAW image of a 160 GB harddrive on a 120 GB USB harddrive, even though the content is taking up less than 100GB ?  :tellme:

f0dder:
Curt: indeed, a RAW dump is a RAW dump. Same size as partition, not content.

That's why you do a non-raw dump, and only get the actual content size... this should be just fine, unless you have some very special needs.

MerleOne:
First I must remind you that I really am a total IT-illiteral. And because of this (yes, I am aware of it: the blame is on me, not on Bill Gates), my XP is getting more and more sick by the minute, so to speak, at least 'by the month'. So now I really need you to guide me to the easiest way to create an image of my harddisk, to USB harddrive. Gratis, not compressing, and not commandline, please. Something like: install and open image making program > click "create image now" > backup this drive (ALL of it) > from here to there, > options: make short but understable log ("don't ask any questions during backup process, but tell me about it next time"), and close pc when done > Start".

What program to get&use, please?  :tellme:

Edited
Oh, I forgot a very important detail: program must fully support Unicode!
-Curt (April 07, 2008, 02:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can use the evaluation version of Drive Snapshot, for 30 days you will be able to image your drive and I think afterwards you can still read the image, but not make any more backups.
http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version