ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HowTo EASILY create image backup?

<< < (2/10) > >>

Curt:
..:[/b] XML is an "eXtensible Markup Language". That's a fancy name for "a structured text file that can be used for a lot of different stuff". The format is similar to HTML, ...-f0dder (April 07, 2008, 08:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

- so I take it (hope) that XML per nature supports Unicode? The problem inside my little head is that NOwhere have I found any info regarding DriveImage versus Unicode. Seems it only were tested by Americans...
 :tellme:

---
Edited for nonsense.

yksyks:
Once the disk image is done it contains just the same as the original disk in binary form, so all filenames should be there exactly the same upon eventual restore process. This applies to all real disk image applications (but not backups).

To speak about Unicode makes sense only when browsing for individual files inside the image, and so far I've never encountered any problem with DriveImage XML and Unicode filenames. Why not to try it for yourself? ;-)

Cuffy:
Take a look at XXClone........... it might simply your life!

XXCLONE, A New Way of Cloning the Windows System DiskXXCLONE is a simple tool to clone the system disk for Windows.
www.xxclone.com/ - 6k - Cached - Similar pages
Download
FAQ
http://www.xxclone.com/
 :-\

Curt:
XXClone is really looking good!  :up:

However, one must purchase the $40 Pro version in order to create daily, incremental backups, as the Free version wil create full clones only. Also, I am concerned that the site not has been updated for more than a year:

All new licenses come with at least one year of update subscription.  Optionally, you may order an extended subscription beyond the basic 1 year period up front.
--- End quote ---

- fine, but, ehh.., there are no updates ...

f0dder:
Once the disk image is done it contains just the same as the original disk in binary form, so all filenames should be there exactly the same upon eventual restore process. This applies to all real disk image applications (but not backups).-yksyks
--- End quote ---
DriveImage XML actually works quite differently from that - the XML file contains file & directory names, et cetera. I don't know if the filesystem metadata part is even extracted from your drive...

- so I take it (hope) that XML per nature supports Unicode? The problem inside my little head is that NOwhere have I found any info regarding DriveImage versus Unicode. Seems it only were tested by Americans...-Curt
--- End quote ---
XML by itself doesn't support unicode, but it does (just like HTML) allow you to specify the "character set". DI XML specifies "UTF-8" encoding, which is a form of compact unicode... so I assume it supports it OK :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version