topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for iPod Shuffle auto-shutoff addon  (Read 5401 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for iPod Shuffle auto-shutoff addon
« on: April 07, 2008, 12:55 AM »
Hey everyone,

Got my first iPod working a couple days ago, and (as some of you know I am *NOT* an Apple fan) I am overall happy with it. However, I often leave it unattended playing (or just on and paused) without remembering to switch it off. Does anyone know how my 2nd Gen Shuffle can be set to auto shutoff after X minutes? (firmware hacks or other things are fine - I don't have AppleCare but I am not concerned about it breaking).

Any ideas?

-Brandon

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for iPod Shuffle auto-shutoff addon
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 04:01 AM »
I hadn't even noticed it doesn't auto-shutoff, I'm no help there. But, since you aren't an Apple fanboy, you might want to take a look at this.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 07:53 AM »

You probably found this, and I'm not sure it's the answer you want anyway but, just in case...

Spoiler
1) Set the Shuttle to pause (push the play button briefly). The music will stop playing, and the green LED will blink.

2) Go into "Hold" mode by holding the play button for (3) seconds. Once engaged, the orange LED rapidly blinks (4) times. Trying to activate any button on the front panel will NOT work, with the orange LED appearing to remind you that you've put the Shuttle into hold (key lock-out) mode. FWIW, this is a good mode to use when working out, since it's easy for buttons to be pressed accidently when working out.

3) After (1) minute, the Shuttle will automatically go into hibernation (energy conservation) mode. If you still have your ear buds in, you'll hear the amp clicking off, giving total silence (you won't hear that bit of background hiss that you usually hear). Be sure to leave the power slider in it's current position, though, as turning it 'off' will over-ride hibernation.

Pushing any of front panel controls at this point will do NOTHING: e.g. pushing the volume or fast-forward buttons will do nothing, and you won't even see the orange LED blink to confirm a button push.

The exception is the PLAY button: push it, and the orange LED lights. Now the LED will light for subsequent pushes of any of the other buttons, too. This is the "awakening" mode, in that the amps haven't kicked on, etc, but the Shuffle is now receptive to being awoken. If no buttons are pushed within (1) minute, it automatically goes back into hibernation mode.

4) When you want to use the Shuffle again (say, the next day at the gym), press the play button for three seconds, and a green LED will flash (4) times, confirming you've unlocked the Shuffle from hibernation and "hold" mode.

5) Now press play, and the Shuffle should continue playing from where you last left off.

from here

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 06:11 PM »
I have used the hold function for PE (and other classes) and it does in fact shut off (although that doesn't make sense to me, why would you want it to stay playing and it shuts off?). Minor annoyance though, and I'll use it more often now that I know what it actually does. :)

@nosh, I would use that db rebuilder, but I have tried about 5 similar programs and they all have a (quite frankly) crap GUI and/or are confusing to use. I don't mind using "spyTunes" every once in a while, as I rarely add songs. :-\

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 03:26 AM »
I like this one for its simplicity. You just store it on the ipod, click on it once after adding files (using your favorite file manager/ music player/whatever) and you're ready to go! No GUI or complications to speak of. :)