ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Evaluate Server 2008 Enterprise for 240 days

<< < (3/3)

Stoic Joker:
I still wonder if there's much use in doing the server->workstation thing, though.-f0dder (April 06, 2008, 09:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
I quit wondering about that after I decided it was a completely retarded excuse to pirate an OS that no one in their right mind would pay $700 for just to run it as a "Workstation".

Also keep in mind that some products require more expensive licenses if you want to run them on a server OS, and some of the free antivirus products will refuse to install.
--- End quote ---
Complexity for the sake of itself spinning out of control, etc, etc, etc.

...I honestly cringe every time I see this brought up.

Armando:
(Installing a server OS as a workstation is not for me, but... aren't people aloud to experiment? Didn't you, ahem, install slackware recently... Complexity for the sake of itself spinning out of control? And, well if the 240 days are too long of a trial, well it's not anybody's fault, it's MS's. It's not piracy AFAIC. Or is it? Sheesh.)

Cuffy:
http://www.winxpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=48036#post48036

And here's another opinion!
 8)

Stoic Joker:
(Installing a server OS as a workstation is not for me, but... aren't people aloud to experiment? Didn't you, ahem, install Slackware recently... Complexity for the sake of itself spinning out of control? And, well if the 240 days are too long of a trial, well it's not any body's fault, it's MS's. It's not piracy AFAIC. Or is it? Sheesh.)
-Armando (April 07, 2008, 07:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Am I experimenting with Slackware? Yes, it's a workstation OS and I'm exploring it as such. I've also connected it to my Server 208 Server ... Which is a server OS that is running as a server. If people want to experiment with a server OS then they should try to figure out how to use it properly in the function it was designed for.  Instead of trying to Monster Garage it into something it was never intended to be.

Slackware only appears complex because it's unfamiliar, however it is being used for its intended purpose. I was merely agreeing with f0dder that licensing for server apps pointlessly over complicates their usage as a workstation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version