topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What kind of free license for a library?  (Read 4002 times)

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
What kind of free license for a library?
« on: April 04, 2008, 04:43 PM »
I have just released TrIDLib. It's a library that wrap the feature of my TrID tool, to add filetype recognition to an app in a quick & easy way.

N.B. The webpage is a work in progress, as the docs. But there are some code samples that should already provide the basic info to get some work done.

But back on the topic. I intend this release to be a free edition, and I was hoping that there's already a known license (I mean, like GPL, LGPL, BSD, etc.) that I could publish this under, without having to write some convoluted semi-legalesuqe text!

My requirements would be:
  • the DLL will have to be distribuited along a brief txt file (ex. TrIDLib.txt)
  • a notice of the use of TrIDLib & me as its author will have to appear on the about box, docs & website (where applicable) of the app/tool/plugin that will use it
  • Just personal, educational, research but not commercial, not business, not for profit use

The rational is that I would like to see it used and spread around (someone for example coded a Total Commander plugin using TrID), and then if someone would see an use in a "money-making" project he would get a "full" version.

Any suitable license come to mind?

Thanks,
Bye!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 05:13 PM by Mark0 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: What kind of free license for a library?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 05:02 PM »
I don't know an existing license that would cover this but there should be one.. Please do share with us whatever you decide to use since I'd be interested in it as well.

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 05:08 PM »
Sure!
A friend for example mentioned one of the Creative Commons variations/derivatives:
Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic.
It surely come very near what I was thinking. But I'm a bit perplexed because I haven't typically seen software using CC licenses.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 05:12 PM »
Iirc your notice requirement is incompatible with the GPL - but you're best off staying away from that junk anyway. Also, if you only plan on releasing a .dll and not source, GPL is entirely no-go.

There's probably an existing license that at least comes close, so you could hunt around, and add a few clauses of your own if need be :) here's a list of opensource licenses, perhaps one is close enough that you can copypasta it :)
- carpe noctem

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 07:13 PM »
Iirc your notice requirement is incompatible with the GPL
Yes, that's for sue! I quoted it just to explain what I was searching for.

Will keep searching around.
BTW, speeching of searches, this thread is already indexed on Google. I know they are pretty fast with popular sites but... this fast?! Impressive!