Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 01, 2014, 01:54:40 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2011! Download 30+ custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you work from home the majority of the time?
Yes, and I am self employed - 24 (49%)
Yes, and I work for an employer - 10 (20.4%)
No - 15 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: How many people work from home?  (Read 9075 times)
jazper
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 04, 2008, 02:37:09 PM »

I'm curious how many people actually work from home? I for one, do work from home and I work for an employer.

How about the rest of you?
mediaguycouk
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 05:10:17 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGg1567fzTY

And that's a no from me. I just couldn't help thinking of this when you said it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 05:12:44 PM by mediaguycouk » Logged

Learning C# - Graham Robinson
ak_
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 05:46:27 PM »

I work from home and i'm self-employed. I draw stuff.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 06:05:30 PM »

I'd love to see ak_'s version of our mascot Cody one day..
mrainey
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 06:23:30 PM »

I'm retired, but make a few bucks from the software I write at home.

Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 06:45:29 PM »

I am in the process of setting up as self employed from home (computer repairs etc.)

cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 07:13:13 PM »

Been working from home for the past decade.

Don't miss the daily commute, don't miss the overheads.

Sometimes  (but rarely)  miss the ability to discuss problems and brainstorm stuff face-to-face.

Chris
kartal
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 10:32:23 PM »

freelancer, work from home(stay at home dad as well), happy,
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 02:21:11 AM »

i do something at home. i think it's called work - or it might just be messing about.

ps.

i'd like to see ak_ do a version of cody one day. i really admire ak_'s style.
ak_
Supporting Member

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 04:56:24 AM »

[off topic]mouser, nudone> ok i'll find the time to do it someday smiley[/off topic]

Crush

Hello dude!

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 06:30:48 AM »

At this moment I´m working 2 days at home ... sometimes fulltime for several months.
Perry Mowbray
N.A.N.Y. Organizer
Charter Member

Thoughtful Scribbles

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 08:31:11 AM »

Don't work from home at the moment, but spent well over a decade working in my own Design business. I miss it, but I also enjoy the communal aspect of working in a larger company.

iphigenie
Supporting Member

curiosity FTW!

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 05:32:23 PM »

I don't work from home at the moment, work for an employer.

I worked from home for over a year around 2002-2003 but not alone - me and 7 people worked from my home for a year when we were setting up our web business.

Then I worked from home again for about 8 months in 2006-2007 (around then is when i found DC looking for "thrifty" software since i had less income), after I got manoeuvered out of the business created above. A dark time for me and yet probably good for my sanity.

One thing I found out is that I dont work well in a vacuum, need people to bounce off. So I would need a home large enough that others can use it for their office too, like a freelance commune, or a good virtual community to keep myself on track...
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 10:13:10 AM »

I have been working from home doing something or other (or multiple things) for the last 20+ years. Some things managed to generate an income (very small, though)...but most things didn't.

I am currently in the process of 'building my empire'. The one that will generate an income while I am asleep. Currently, it isn't making enough to live on, or even support my tea drinking habit, but it's making more than it ever has before, and I consider that moving in the right direction.  smiley

My goal is $2000/month (this is a very magical life changing amount for me)
I am currently averaging $25/month

I still have a long way to go and a lot of work to do, but some day I will get there.

Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 12:11:02 PM »

I currently work for myself at home and am very happy with it. (As of the end of March.)

And I really like working from home! cheesy

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
PPLandry
Supporting Member

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 04:21:53 PM »

I've been self-employed for the last 19 years and have mostly been working from home. First writing software for others, now writing software for myself, and I love it.  smiley
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 09:15:51 AM by PPLandry » Logged

Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
Anatolie
Participant

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 08:56:17 AM »

I do work from home and I work for an employer.

my web site is ToyCatSoft.com
Mandork
Supporting Member

Hopeless or hapless?

View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 03:36:07 PM »

I "work" from home, in that I am writing up my PhD right now and can't be bothered to go into my office on campus every day, when I have mostly everything I need at home.  However, I keep applying for temp jobs, because eventually sitting at home all by myself every day makes me a bit crazy...but I do keep in touch with other PhD writers via an online forum which is pretty active, so even though there isn't really anyone here, I talk to people online and make pacts to get things done, keep tabs on what other people are up to, and so on.

I'd love to start a decent freelance business someday, though.  Editing and/or copywriting would be nice.

Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
Pablo Picasso
iphigenie
Supporting Member

curiosity FTW!

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 07:01:41 PM »

Well it seems I might get to consider getting clients again, since i just found out my company cant afford to keep me on. Cant blame them and i'll be all right, but have to ask do i really want to work for someone else again or go back to my company.

I always have too many ideas and projects anyway
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 03:48:35 PM »

I work all the time from everywhere  Sad  Basically I freelance for one big corporate client at a time, and have side work that I'm building up... it's hard though.  But I look at people that have done it, and it gives me the inspiration to keep trying!  Thmbsup

Liquidmantis
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 06:58:48 PM »

I work from home as of October 1st.  We moved to Colorado but my Austin job let me switch to telecommuting.  I guess it helps when I'm the system/network admin and the only one that knows all the various passwords, configuration, network appliances.  Of course the only way it works is with a couple of technically proficient people on site to serve as remote hands as needed.

I've considered transitioning to a freelance/consulting self-employment gig but I'm comfortable and don't want to constantly feel like I'm chasing my next paycheck.
erikts
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 09:38:02 PM »

I was temporary self employed during 2006 and work at home with ocassional trip to clients.   Thmbsup  Now I am working for an employer.  embarassed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.056s | Server load: 0.1 ]