topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Supercharge Your Camera with Open-Source CHDK Firmware  (Read 9438 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Supercharge Your Camera with Open-Source CHDK Firmware
« on: April 04, 2008, 09:50 AM »
Fascinating! :o  :up:

Digital cameras have powers beyond what is immediately available to the user. On a standard Canon, for example, the fastest shutter speed option offered is 1/1,600 second, but the hardware can handle much more than that -- up to 1/60,000 of a second.

CHDK, the Canon Hacker's Development Kit, is an open-source software project that can be loaded on cameras using Canon's DIGIC II or DIGIC III firmware platforms. [...]

http://howto.wired.c...Source_CHDK_Firmware

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Supercharge Your Camera with Open-Source CHDK Firmware
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 01:13 PM »
That is awesome! :Thmbsup:

I've got a Canon A710IS. It's a great little camera, takes great pictures. But I've wanted to be able to experiment with RAW data and HDR photography (which requires bracketing), neither of which is supported.

But this provides both of these, and about a thousand more.

mrHappy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 03:43 PM »
Been toying with this the last couple of days, but I just can't get my camera to take pictures in RAW format no matter what I do.
And that really sucks since I was so happy when I found out my camera was supported and I could finally take pictures in raw.
Hopefullu I'll figure out somehting to allow me to do it.
There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who have friends.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 06:33 PM »
I looked at this, I dont have any cameras that support the firmware, then got looking at HDR... wow!  I found this freeware program and have been trying it all afternoon.  qtpfsgui

Kevin

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 06:07 PM »
Very cool. I'm going to have to try that now...

WhaleWatcher

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 08:20 AM »
I thought this was the answer to my prayers until I discovered the fix only applied to Canon cameras, does anyone know anything similar for the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 camera?

:tellme:

Digital cameras have powers beyond what is immediately available to the user. On a standard Canon, for example, the fastest shutter speed option offered is 1/1,600 second, but the hardware can handle much more than that -- up to 1/60,000 of a second.

CHDK, the Canon Hacker's Development Kit, is an open-source software project that can be loaded on cameras using Canon's DIGIC II or DIGIC III firmware platforms. [...]

http://howto.wired.c...Source_CHDK_Firmware

johnnylately

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 10:04 AM »
I've loaded several builds on my A710, TONS of new options!  I saw this about a year ago and wanted to toy around with it but forgot about it until a few weeks ago when I took a Photography workshop at Great Smokey Mountains Institute at Tremont http://www.gsmit.org.  We spent quite a bit of time with histograms (I didn't know mine had that!) and Photoshop.  When I got back home I checked through some old links and found the one for CHDK and decided to try it out.  The one snag was you have to use a SD, not SDHC (so the flash memory limit is 2GB).  It's super simple to load and you can make it load automatically or just boot without it since it doesn't replace the camera firmware, just adds/opens up features.