topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Odd Windows XP installation problem WRT boot options  (Read 3237 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Odd Windows XP installation problem WRT boot options
« on: April 03, 2008, 09:04 PM »
Having just reinstalled Windows XP and go a nice stable system I have just discovered that there is an odd configuration problem ...

Before reinstalling the orginal disc had three primary partitions:

C: Windows (Active boot partition)
D: Data
E: Data

During the reinstall I used the tool in Windows setup to delete the Windows partition, create a new formatted partition for the new installed version.

All went well and everything works fine EXCEPT the partition table is now:

C: Extended Partition containing 1 Logical Partition (Windows)
D: Data (now the active partition)
E: Data

The problem is that Windows setup has put ntldr and boot.ini etc on the D: partition

The trouble is that MSCONFIG no longer has any boot.ini options and also if I want to reformat D: at any time I can't.

I can convert the C: partition to an Active Primary partition easily enough but how do I get all the boot related stuff onto drive C: and working properly?

Anyone got any ideas? TIA

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Odd Windows XP installation problem WRT boot options
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 07:18 AM »
Let me guess - you have mixed IDE and SATA drives?

The best option is leaving only the to-be system drive plugged in, and do a reinstall. Changing system drive letter post-install is pretty risky, since there's a lot of places you need to fix up.
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Odd Windows XP installation problem WRT boot options
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 07:32 AM »
Yes but the the active boot partition and Windows are on the SATA drive next to each other.

I don't want to change drive letters I want to make the Windows partition the active boot partition, rather than the neighbouring data partition.

I think it is probably because Windows Setup created wthe Windows partition in an extended partition rather than in a primary partition - it made the pre-existing primary partition active instead and consequently installed the NTDETECT, NTLDR and BOOT.INI on the active partition rather than on the Windows logical partition.

Presumably I can convert C: to an Active Primary partition and then simply copy NTDETECT, NTLDR and BOOT.INI to C:\ and use the repair console to run FIXMBR ???

Anyone know if this is the case or will I totally screw my system?