topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Power Desk 7  (Read 16552 times)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Power Desk 7
« on: April 03, 2008, 10:14 AM »
Power Desk 7 has been recently released and i was looking for good opinions prior to upgrading.
It boasts Vista compatibility and other enhancements, but what i'm wondering is if it has improved in speed?
Has load up time and file find or preview been improved even for an XPHome user?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Power Desk 7
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 01:42 PM »
I don't know about those things
- only wanted to remind you to use discount code NEWVC35 for 35% off.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 02:05 PM »
They don't seem to provide a trial, do they?  My suggestion would be to not worry about the upgrade unless you're looking for one of the items they list as new for v7:

• Vista compatibility
  • Hex editing
  • File notes remain attached to files when the file is moved
  • improved image toolbar

You can find a 50% discount ($40 discounted to $20) using this link:

http://www.shop.avan...Q_US_EM_PD7_SUP_0408

I was hoping that the AFFPD7 or NEWVC35 promo codes would give an additional discount, but they don't seem to work for me when I use the above link.

Edit:  if the above link stops working, the discount code UPGPD7 seems to give a $20 discount, too.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 05:08 PM by mwb1100 »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 05:48 PM »
You can get it for $19.99 at http://www.avanquestusa.com/pd7

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 06:44 PM »
My suggestion would be to not worry about the upgrade unless you're looking for one of the items they list as new for v7: Vista compatibility, Hex editing, File notes remain attached to files when the file is moved, improved image toolbar

- very wise words!  :up:

PowerDesk Pro 7 is absolutely nothing but a PowerDesk Pro 6 plus these four new features!  :down:

Can I repeat myself, please?

I cannot and will not recommend Avanquest!

At least I did't use the discount code I gave in my initial post (-35%) but one of 'your' 50% links.
Thanks!  :up:

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 08:14 AM »
Yabbut!

They did mention some new enhancements suggested by users were made.
That's why i was wanting to hear some feedback from users here before bothering with it at all if all they basically added (after so many years!) was that Vista compatibility (useless addition IMO as Vista's own Explorer is likely just as good or even even better than PD - can that be?).

-a satisfied XP Home user.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 08:48 AM »
I'm with you, Dan, I'd STILL like to read a review or hear a real user's opinion about this upgrade.

@Curt - did  you actually buy the upgrade to PD7? If so, my questions have been answered!

I'd add to the list of four things you get for the upgrade price updated Stellent viewers (or at least I presume that they will have been updated for this release), which should allow you to preview Office 2007 and the latest StarOfice/OpenOffice.org formats, amongst others. This is irrelevant to me as I already have the latest Stellent viewers, but still...

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 09:58 AM »
It doesn't display Word 2007 file formats (you just get an XML tree).

This is at least better than DOpus with displays them as hex dumps!

I upgraded to version 7 (to install on Vista) but I haven't used verion 6 enough to know what you are looking for. I got it pretty much free ages ago but have used DOpus ever since. If you want to know anything specific ask (and give instructions where to look).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 10:40 AM »
Hi Carol - good to know about Word files as this indicates that they're shipping PD 7 without the latest Stellent viewers. I'm on XP Pro and am using Dopus 9 as my default file management solution. I don't really have any specific questions about PD7... I guess I'm just wondering if there have been any other changes made beyond the four new features? I can see that the GUI looks unchanged but what about speed? I re-installed PD 6 recently to take a look at it when the upgrade to 7 was announced and was dismayed at how long it took to open up. Anyway, none of this is urgent! I'm sure there will be a review posted somewhere on the internet soon.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 11:01 AM »
PDesk7 opens instantly on my system (no delay).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 01:01 PM »
- maybe Darwin had a large folder open as 'default' from the last time it was open? PowerDesk will 'load' the files before it shows the GUI / window, while most managers will show the GUI / window, and only then 'load' the files.

Yes, I bought #7, because it was either that, or remove the old version. Now I know I should have removed it all... No, just exaggerating. I like PowerDesk Pro 7, but I am glad I didn't pay the list price, it would have made me feel cheated. One has to think that PowerDesk Pro is a fine but long time abbandoned program, and thus be gratefull someone at least gave it a small update.

My #7 opens a little faster than Explorer, but really just 'a little'.

Edited for wording
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 01:13 PM by Curt »

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 06:58 AM »
It's good to hear that PD7 opens quicker than Windows, so i guess that means there was an improvement from 6.
I'm insisting on that part 'cause i find Explorer to be faster at this level than any other file program.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 07:45 AM »
My #7 opens a little faster than Explorer, but really just 'a little'.
It's good to hear that PD7 opens quicker than Windows,

I guess I said it a little wrong, because:

PowerDesk will 'load' the files before it shows the GUI / window,

You might say that PowerDesk opens faster when it sort of already is open.....  :-\
- it doesn't cold-start any faster.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 08:02 AM »
For me PD7 opens quicker than Windows Explorer - which given that Explorer is in memory and PD7 has to load from disc is pretty impressive!

It is also slightly faster to open than Directory Opus (which again is in memory because ll I need to do is double click the system tray icon).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 09:01 AM »
Thanks for the comments! I don't have PD 6 installed anymore - reinstalled it to test it out again and was experiencing random BSOD afterward (in fairness I had also installed the latest Direct Folders almost immediately after installing PD 6 so it could have been it that was the problem - I uninstalled both and no problems since).

I am sort of tempted by PD 7 for $19.95...

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 10:27 AM »
Avanquest (now "the maker" of PowerDesk) may be planning to launch System Suite 9, because System Suite 8 Professional is on sale at half the listed price, $30 for 3 licenses instead of $60 (in Denmark: $70.44 incl. VAT) for one license:

System Suite's easy-to-use, integrated interface allows you to detect and remove viruses and spyware, fix Windows registry problems, diagnose hardware, defragment your hard drive and much more -- all from inside one window.  Learn more... »

Plus! Included are 3 user licenses, so you can protect your whole family!

60+ Powerful Tools to Maintain & Protect Your PC:
• Anti-Virus Protection
• Anti-Spam Control
• Spyware Removal
• Firewall Defense
• PC Diagnostics
• PC Maintenance
• Active Intelligence
• Registry Fixer
• Startup Manager
• Diaster Recovery
• File Recovery
• Internet Cleanup
• File Shredder
• And more!

What's NEW in System Suite 8 Professional!

System Optimizer
System Suite optimizes your PC for gaming, security, multimedia and office tasks. One-click control optimizes the PC for your specific needs.

NetDefense Firewall
IMPROVED! One-click protection configures PC security settings when logged on a home, work or public network for optimal protection.

Web Defense
Integrates with major search engines to identify & block malicious websites before you click. Protect yourself from hacked pages, phishing & fraud scams.

Active Intelligence
System Suite automatically monitors the health and security of your PC ensuring you are always protected.

File Shredder
Securely erase data from your hard drive. System Suite ensures the data is completely unrecoverable, protecting you from identity theft.
-Laplink email offer
90-day money back guarantee.
Windows 2000/XP/Vista

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 08:49 AM »
I gave in the other day cause one machine was having a problem after a power cut so I upgraded for 14.95 to version 8.

Didnt see that much in it thats new that i would use, although I noticed the startup manager looked rather well done. Havent put it through its paces though.

It was missing the one thing I upgraded for, naively. Disk fixing tools on the boot cd.

I just wish *someone* would still do a bootable CD that does the disk check, Norton stopped with NU 2002 or 2003 (and I stopped buying!), and the last version of the fix it system suite doesnt seem to offer it either anymore. It's back to boot-to-recovery-console and run chkdsk, but unless chkdsk has hugely improved sometimes it might not be enough.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 11:53 AM »
You can find a 50% discount ($40 discounted to $20) using this link:

http://www.shop.avan...Q_US_EM_PD7_SUP_0408

I was hoping that the AFFPD7 or NEWVC35 promo codes would give an additional discount, but they don't seem to work for me when I use the above link.

Edit:  if the above link stops working, the discount code UPGPD7 seems to give a $20 discount, too.

If anyone likes to pay top prices they may do so "tomorrow", Tuesday August 26, at Bits du Jour...
http://www.bitsdujou...are/powerdesk-pro-7/

2008-08-26.gif

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 04:09 PM »
Has anyone used powerdesk7 under 64bit xp successfully? V6 is not closing properly under 64bit. If same problem is persisting I will pass this deal.