ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

25 interesting things that you learn about computers only in the movies

<< < (2/3) > >>

Edvard:
BTW- The aliens instituted a workaround for that fatal security vulnerability:
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/susan/sf/films/id4vir.htm

and others have been thinking waaay to much about these issues as well...

app103:
Here is one they didn't mention: Outlook can do anything. It is the most amazing and versatile piece of software ever created.

You can do anything with it, from password cracking, to revealing secret identities, names, addresses, phone numbers, credit info, list of prescription medications that person uses, and what that person had for breakfast...of anyone...just by typing in some vague info like "who is Bob?".

It will even show you a map with Bob's location, and you can zoom in and see live video of Bob sitting at his desk.

And if your copy of Outlook doesn't make Atari game sounds, it's likely you don't know what you are doing.

So now you know the secret...if you want to become a Hollywood style expert hacker, you must become a super power user of Microsoft Outlook and know how to activate the Super God Mode with the Atari sounds.

:D

ak_:
I think it starts nicely but it seems like the author tried too hard to get 25 entries. Maybe it would have been better less, more accurate ideas. But it's still funny.

When i'm watching series like 24, i'm always amazed to see how many useless visual animations are displayed before showing information, opening a window of whatever, even if people at CTU are in a hurry 24/7.

Worst of all, i hate this thing that you can see in 95% of spy movies :
- Hey what's this ? There, this little dot in the background ? Zoom 8000% please...
- Ok, done.
- Hmm, looks like a face but it's blurry, sharpen the image...
- Done.
- Wow ! It's the killer !

I hate that. I hate that i hate that i hate that i hate that i hate that. In 24, they even zoom on a picture taken from Jack's cell phone to read a serial number on a object in a terrorist's pocket. I hate that.

Edvard:
That all started with Blade Runner, remember? Harrison Ford zoomed in on a picture of the "skin job" stripper and her snake prop until he could read the id number micro-stamped on one of the scales.

(how many dpi can you freaking fit in a jpeg to be able to do that? ack.)

Deozaan:
Worst of all, i hate this thing that you can see in 95% of spy movies :
- Hey what's this ? There, this little dot in the background ? Zoom 8000% please...
- Ok, done.
- Hmm, looks like a face but it's blurry, sharpen the image...
- Done.
- Wow ! It's the killer !

I hate that. I hate that i hate that i hate that i hate that i hate that. In 24, they even zoom on a picture taken from Jack's cell phone to read a serial number on a object in a terrorist's pocket. I hate that.
-ak_ (April 03, 2008, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I totally agree! I don't watch much TV, but what I do what is usually crime shows (Law & Order, or CSI) and they are terrible about this! I saw one CSI episode where there was something ridiculous like a parking lot security camera photo of the murderer approaching a vehicle, but with his back to the camera so they couldn't identify him... until someone noticed his reflection in the vehicle's side-view mirror. Sure enough:

"What's that in the mirror?"
"I dunno. Let me zoom in on that."
"That's blurry! Can you clean that up?"
"Sure!" *presses one button*
"Aha! It's a name tag!"

That all started with Blade Runner, remember? Harrison Ford zoomed in on a picture of the "skin job" stripper and her snake prop until he could read the id number micro-stamped on one of the scales.

(how many dpi can you freaking fit in a jpeg to be able to do that? ack.)
-Edvard (April 03, 2008, 10:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah but that was the future. Maybe that is possible in the future.

Also, I really hate how CSI has started using a projection/holographic screen like what we first saw in Minority Report. Well, I guess the interface isn't the same since it uses a touch screen/table thingy instead of cool gloves in the air, but still!

Also, the police can search for anybody using any criteria on anything and they'll find a result in less than ten seconds. They might have to filter the results a couple times, but sure enough, the programs they use were written in such a way to accept any command to cull the list!

And another thing: Anyone see that episode of that really stupid TV show where a drug dealer hid secret information in his Xbox game? The criminal was middle-eastern, so naturally the game was Prince of Persia. Anyway, they had to get to "Level 10" of the game (which is stupid for all sorts of reasons, because for one, there aren't any levels in the game.) You got the idea that they tried for hours to do this, with a whole room full of people watching one guy playing it. Dying again and again and again. Then the guy who I think was the main guy of the show looked over and there was a young woman holding her hands in the air as if she was holding the Xbox controller, pressing air-buttons, playing the game.

You can't really air-play a game like Prince of Persia because if you "press left" or "jump" using your air-buttons but the person actually playing presses right or doesn't jump, then you're completely out of sync with what's happening on the screen.

But anyway, the guy who sees this young woman doing this kicks the guy off who's been dying for the past 3 hours and within a few minutes this young woman gets to level 10, at which point an Excel Spreadsheet opens up in the middle of the game with the secret information.

So this guy hacked his Xbox and a video game (on a disc!) to display an excel spreadsheet, and he makes a living selling drugs?

How many levels of stupid can you get in a 5 minute segment of TV? Er... Not counting Reality TV... or Soap Operas... Er... Okay well I guess it just comes naturally to TV.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version