ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Memory Address Space

(1/3) > >>

Cuffy:
Is anyone aware of any software that graphically displays memory address space and where the physical memory is being used?
It would sure be easier to understand why you can't stuff 4GB physical memory into the 32 bit system address space if it was displayed in a graph and it would bloody well be a blast if you could watch the graph and make the memory dance by using or releasing some of it!
If there isn't anything like that around I'd be ashamed of myself if I were a programmer? Luckily I'm not!
It , of course, would be easier to explain it that way too. That's really why I'm looking.
 8)

f0dder:
You can stuff 4 gigabytes of memory into the 32bit system address space - but you can't :P. The problem is memory-mapped devices and (other) reserved memory areas. (But you knew that).

As for graphing current use, that becomes pretty complex once an operating system has booted. I don't think I'd want to even attempt it on windows... under DOS, you can query the "e280 map", which will show reserved regions etc. But that's probably before PCI/AGP devices have been mapped...

Cuffy:
Well, that was a bust! I thought a little shame might work but apparently not.
I was thinking about something to use to explain to newbies why they can't get to use all 4GB of the new ram they just bought. Patches and reg hacks are going to increase with price of ram dropping, especially DDR2, and big rebates.
Of course they won't work either but they'll keep trying, and keep crying, and I'll keep trying to keep from crying!
Damn, there are times when I even make myself sick.
Thanks, Fodder
 ;D

f0dder:
The solution is obviously moving to a 64-bit OS :)

Btw, even 32-bit x86 OSes have been able to use >4GB ram since "like, forever" (iirc PAE was introduced with pentium pro), but Microsoft decided to not support that on non-server OSes for market segmentation compatibility purposes :-\ :-\ :-\, even though XP activates PAE mode to take advantage of hardware no-execute protection.

Cuffy:
I've been running a 64bit system since MS released the trial. When the trial expired I bought a copy!
I have no complaints but it's hard trying to explain the problem to 32bit OS users. At one time I found a diagram of the 32bit memory address space that showed that the top of the bucket was already full so you couldn't get 4GB of memory into the remaining space in the bucket. I think the graph was on Wiki but I can't seem to find it again. There's enough information about memory stored on Wiki now to choke a goat. I'll look again but right now I'm engaged in a brutal battle with a game of Freecell.
Thanks
 :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version