Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 22, 2014, 10:56:48 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: How to kill Vista's search indexer and save your HD  (Read 4776 times)
zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 01, 2008, 01:04:03 PM »

Sick of your HD spinning and churning nonstop day after day, driving you nuts? I use XYplorer's search to find files and never need this feature. If you use a third-party search utility, then disable Vista's Search Indexer service. Here's how:

Start > Run >Services (or type "services.msc" at the run command)

Right-click on the WINDOWS SEARCH service, and select PROPERTIES

In the 'Service Status' section on the General tab, hit the STOP button

On the same tab at the 'Startup type' dropdown list, choose DISABLED

Hit the APPLY button, close the Services dialog, and save your HD.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 01:05:50 PM by zridling » Logged

- zaine (on Google+)
MrCrispy
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 12:57:48 AM »

I find Vista's search in the start menu for finding programs indispensable! I've tried FARR, Launchy etc but the builtin search is easy and works great. I've set the search service to index only the start menu and I never see it running anymore. The latest WDS 4.0 has also made search faster. Try it out, you may be surprised  smiley
nontroppo
Charter Honorary Member

spinning top

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 04:16:49 AM »

I have a new desktop machine which I'm going to force myself to use vista on for more than a few days. I don't want to waste time on learning its ins-and-outs however.

So far the experience has been smoother than my last attempts, but the start menu search drives me nuts. I have a folder in my Program Files with utilities, none of which come up in the menu. So I added a shortcut, but the shortcut gets a different place in the menu compared to the programs it knows about. Why doesn't it just index Program files without such arbitrary distinctions. Where do I manage this?

justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 05:09:38 AM »

Why doesn't it just index Program files without such arbitrary distinctions. Where do I manage this?
It probably assumes you don't want the 99% extra junk that's in your program files. But just search for indexing options (its also part of the control panel) > modify > show all locations. I'd consider finding all the .exe's in your utils folder with a filesearch tool, then right click and create shortcuts for all of them at once and add them to a utils start menu folder?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 05:11:20 AM by justice » Logged

nontroppo
Charter Honorary Member

spinning top

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 06:28:10 AM »

Thanks justice. I now realise Vista's search is pretty bare-bones by default. No content searching, only the start menu and user files indexed; but a weird collection of useless filetypes indexed. I guess I've been spoilt by Leopard's Spotlight and FARR.

Still I will ignore Zaine  tongue and persevere: no FARR and no 3rd-party indexer until I've given Vista its fair chance.

Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 06:33:11 AM »

I too love the vista search for the start menu and explorer windows. I am leaving mine up and running.

Strength in Knowledge
nontroppo
Charter Honorary Member

spinning top

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 11:24:51 PM »

I don't know whether I'd call it love just yet  tongue I think this functionality *should* be integrated into the OS at its core, but I've not had a smooth experience with Vista's search so far...

Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 06:17:01 AM »

Sick of your HD spinning and churning nonstop day after day, driving you nuts?

I would be if it happened, but I've yet to see it. After the initial install Vista will have to build the indexes from scratch and that can make for a rather active period, but once it's done it's done. The index updates are reasonably transparent...unless you're fixated on the HDD activity light willing it to stay off. There is no constant thrashing of activity.

On machines with slower disks, if there is a lot of file movement/changes/updates it could leave the indexing service playing catch-up on a regular basis ... but that's not Vista or the indexing systems fault.

I've seen performance tweaks involving either tuning or disabling the indexer as far back as Win2000, and I've plaved with most of them. However I've yet to see any of them produce a noticable impact on performance.
zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 09:24:16 AM »

I don't know what mine were doing, but until I shut this off, Vista's search indexer was running and ramping my drives nonstop during idle periods (and I don't have a defragger installed either). Now my HD lights stay off when idle, and I like it.

- zaine (on Google+)
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 09:53:07 AM »

If the search indexer hasnt been changed, then you should be fine with its default indexing options. If you change it to index program files, then it will do so.

Strength in Knowledge
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.039s | Server load: 0.02 ]