ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

Window Tags

(1/3) > >>

Rover:
This is something I could use occasionally.  I have 10 windows open, but I need/want to switch back and forth between 2 or 3 of them a lot.
Say I'm testing a PHP script and I have the server in a putty session.  The php manual page in a browser window and I'm testing the script in another browser window.  I'd like to hit a hotkey to tag each of those windows with so I can switch to them quickly.  That way if I get an email or some other app changes focus, I don't have to fight to get by alt-tab order fixed again.

So Putty is my focused window, I type Ctrl-T, 1 and tag it.  Php Manual Browser is focus I hit Ctrl-T, 2.  Testing Browser Ctrl-T, 3.  So when I want to switch to putty, I just hit Ctrl-1.  Ctrl-3 to test again.  Ctrl-1 to look at my php.log.  Ctrl-2, back to the manual.

Ctrl-Shift-1, ctrl-alt-1 or whatever makes it easy to avoid other hot key combos.

Any takers?  Is this useful?

mouser:
kind of a cool idea.

f0dder:
Sounds like a useful idea - also, an ALT+TAB like thing just for the tagged apps would be useful. I think the "add tag" hotkey would have to be something a bit more obscure than ctrl+t though, since that's used by many apps for "open a new tab" :)

justice:
whoever takes this up should have a good look at recent RTS video games such as sins of a solar empire and implement more interface productivity features :)

Armando:
I think it's a good idea... If only it could work for duplicated windows of a same Word document....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version