ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

RAM PROBLEM?

<< < (3/4) > >>

bobparham:
Carol, My mobo manual shows the inboard slot as Dimm 1 and the outboard slot as Dimm 2. When you say put the 1 gb stick in slot one will this be Dimm 1?

Bob

Carol Haynes:
Probably - tell me what the motherboard model number is and I can check

bobparham:
Motherboard is MSI #PM8M3-V

mouser:
it probably doesnt matter what slot 1 stick of ram goes in.
but as carol says, mixing memory sticks of different size and timing is often problematic.

f0dder:
I had trouble mix-and-matching memory back in the K6-2 days, but it worked OK for my Pentium4. I generally wouldn't recommend it, though, because results vary so much between chipsets (or, in case of integrated memory controller, CPUs), motherboard, memory modules, etc.

It so wonderful >:( that computers don't have better diagnostics of wtf the problem is. A lockup like you described could be because of a bad PSU, a flaky motherboard, overheating CPU, because you're mixing memory modules, and even more things.

I'd do as carol suggests, run with the 1gig stick and see if you can do that error-free for a while. And just for completeness, state which motherboard model you have - somebody might know about specific problems :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version