ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

RAM PROBLEM?

(1/4) > >>

bobparham:
I have a problem that is driving me crazy. Hopefully, someone can give me some idea what the cause is and what action I should take.  :(

I have a desktop computer with MSI motherboard and Intel Celeron 3.06 Gig CPU. I realized several months ago that the 512 mb of RAM was inadequate and slowing down my computer. I decided to add a 1 gb stick of RAM in the one empty slot as MSI stated the motherboard would accept up to 2 gb of RAM “mix and match” in the two slots provided. I purchased the 1 GB stick of generic RAM and installed it which gave me a 512 mb stick in one slot and 1 GB stick in the other slot. That is where the troubles began. My computer would shut down periodically. It might be a matter of hours or it might be as much as five days.

I removed the 512 mb stick and I still had the problem. I replaced the 1 GB stick with the 512 mb stick. It took five or six days but it still shut down. Now I don’t know what to do as my computer shuts down with either one or both sticks of RAM :( :(. There is no question in my mind that I need additional RAM but what should I do? Is it possible that something else has happened to cause the shutdowns and not the RAM?

Dormouse:
Is it possible that something else has happened to cause the shutdowns and not the RAM?-bobparham (March 31, 2008, 08:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Of course it is possible. It is also possible that the 512mb RAM was not the cause of the original slowness. If it were the new stick or a mismatch, I'd certainly expect that restoring the hardware to its previous state would stop the shutdowns. Have you tried a restore from before the time the shutdowns started? The PSU is another potential cause of the problems. Maybe someone more expert will be along soon to give more precise advice.

f0dder:
Put both sticks of RAM in the machine, and let http://www.memtest86.com/ churn away for some hours.

bobparham:
Will the memtest work in the background so that I can continue to use my computer?

f0dder:
Nope, you have to burn it to a CD or put it on a floppy and reboot your machine, and then let memtest run for several hours...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version