topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: MAILSTORE EMAIL ARCHIVER  (Read 15498 times)

ganrad

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MAILSTORE EMAIL ARCHIVER
« on: March 30, 2008, 04:25 AM »
I have been using Mailstore Home http://www.mailstore.../mailstore-home.aspx for archiving emails from my gmail and fastmail.fm imap accounts.
The experience has been Quite impressive. So much that I have almost stopped using X1 for searching email.
It has also helped me avoid keeping all those old archived pst files in my laptop (so as to enable X1 to archive the mails)

Is anyone else using mailstore? What is the experience?  Would anyone recommend upgrading to mailstore server (USD599)?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MAILSTORE EMAIL ARCHIVER
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 05:11 AM »
Other threads mentioning Mailstore:

MailStore Home 2.5.1 released with lots of improvements
How do you archive your Email or MBox2CHM?
HELP !!! Outlook corruption
How much email do you keep…and why?

I think there are a number of MAilstore users around here and I haven't seen anything other than impressed comments. Like you I have given up using X1 but I have just upgraded to Office 2007 on my main machine and that uses Windows Desktop Search in Outlook 2007 to do instant searches. Haven't used WDS much yet but I will continue archiving to Mailstore.

I emailed them a while ago with a few bugs and suggestions - it looks as though they are going to come out with a paid for version for home users (Mailstore Plus ???) which will remove some of the restrictions of Mailstore Home, but presumably not add all the server functions of the expensive version. As a home user I can't really see how anyone could justify the server version's cost. A simple solution is to creat an extra profile that includes PST files from other computers. You can then archive those PST files too in your main database - but you would need to duplicate it across all your systems.

I suppose another alternative would be to put the MailStore Home DB in a shared location (so long as you don't expect to have the MAilStore DB or any of the Outlook PST files open on more than one machine at a time).

ganrad

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 07:10 AM »
Good to know that mailstoreplus will be available.

Two things lacking in the free mailstore home version is (a) Not More than 3 email sources and (b) Cannot export a set of folders (of mails) to outlook or Windows Mail.

I Hope that the plus version will allow both of these

Speaking of it, only "3 email sources" is not really a limitation in the sense, one could always delete a source, add another source, archive and come back to the first one

Having used Mailstore, cant think how good other solutions like Mailbag assistant would be? I have not tried Mailbox assistant.
Anyone has a comparison?

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 08:26 PM »
The thing I do not understand about mailstore is that the indexing or importing. Do I need to do this manually? I mean do I need to download emails to thunderbird and then import into mail store everytime? It sounds like it does make no sense??

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 03:02 AM »
When you open MailStore you just click on the "Import Messages ... " and your profile button to update your email archive. It is very fast (takes just a few seconds) and only imports new stuff since last time.

Personally I prefer this to having something constantly running in the background.

MailStore Server has automated updating by schedule.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 10:52 AM »
well I first need to open thunderbird download my messages, then open mailstore and import messages. Hmm this is not my kind of work flow. It is a nice piece of software thou.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 11:00 AM »
I don't see this as a major problem. I know about my recent emails and adding everything to mailstore once a week is not much of an imposition.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 11:17 AM »
You only need to open MailStore and import emails when you want to search them or view archived emails in MailStore. It is pretty easy to press one link and wait 10 seconds before you use MailStore if you want to look at recent mail that way.

Another approach would be to use MailStore as your POP client since you can POP email directly into MailStore and leave it on the server so that you can still take it into Thunderbird if you want to.

MailStore is very nice but it is basically a teaser in its current form to get businesses to buy the server version (which will automatically archive your emails). Hopefully scheduling will be added to the Plus version when it appears.

You could always write a simple AHK script to automate the update process ;)

dspelley

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • But it's a dry heat.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 04:01 PM »
MailStore Home has a new Version 4 Beta out. A few of the new features are:

• Portable version can be run from USB device
  • Up to 6 concurrent archiving profiles (used to be 3)
  • Improved email preview
  • Virtual folders for saved searches
  • Backups to hard drives or USB storage devices
  • Export single emails, folders, or entire archive
  • Simpler settings panel

I installed and ran it last night. It found my existing archive and imported and updated it with no problems seen so far.

Home version is STILL FREE!

We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
--- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 02:44 AM »
I've been looking for this to store all my 'funny' e-mails from friends! Nice find... :Thmbsup:

I'll recommend to a friend who just just can't let go of any e-mail she gets! ;D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 09:51 AM »
MailStore Home 4 has been released. dspelley highlighted changes and new features above, to which can be added:

* Significant increase in performance
* Desktop shortcuts for archiving tasks
* Search folders

I'm installing it now...  :)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 10:15 AM »
Anyone found the link to upgrade a home plus license from version 3 to 4 ?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 11:00 AM »
MailStore Home 4 is a nice upgrade. It takes some time to convert an existing MailStore Home 3 database for use to version 4, but once that's done, archiving is much quicker  :Thmbsup: I haven't tried any of the new features, but plan to backup my e-mail to a USB thumbdrive later today.

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 08:16 AM »
I've tried every major release of MailStore Home since I first heard it here. Sadly it's never handled Asian language mail properly. V4 is no exception.  :(