ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to kill Vista's search indexer and save your HD

<< < (2/2)

Josh:
I too love the vista search for the start menu and explorer windows. I am leaving mine up and running.

nontroppo:
I don't know whether I'd call it love just yet  :P I think this functionality *should* be integrated into the OS at its core, but I've not had a smooth experience with Vista's search so far...

Stoic Joker:
Sick of your HD spinning and churning nonstop day after day, driving you nuts?-zridling (April 01, 2008, 01:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I would be if it happened, but I've yet to see it. After the initial install Vista will have to build the indexes from scratch and that can make for a rather active period, but once it's done it's done. The index updates are reasonably transparent...unless you're fixated on the HDD activity light willing it to stay off. There is no constant thrashing of activity.

On machines with slower disks, if there is a lot of file movement/changes/updates it could leave the indexing service playing catch-up on a regular basis ... but that's not Vista or the indexing systems fault.

I've seen performance tweaks involving either tuning or disabling the indexer as far back as Win2000, and I've plaved with most of them. However I've yet to see any of them produce a noticable impact on performance.

zridling:
I don't know what mine were doing, but until I shut this off, Vista's search indexer was running and ramping my drives nonstop during idle periods (and I don't have a defragger installed either). Now my HD lights stay off when idle, and I like it.

Josh:
If the search indexer hasnt been changed, then you should be fine with its default indexing options. If you change it to index program files, then it will do so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version