ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

files and folders emulator

(1/2) > >>

kalos:
hello

I have several external hard disks with files

I need a program that will gather the names and size of all the files and folders in them and it will create a database of all the files and folders

then, when I paste a file in a specific folder, it will check if the files is duplicated and it will popup a warning of 'file already exist' as if the file existed

this will save me from having duplicate files on each of the drives

is there a program that can do this?

I know that it can be done with specific RAID hardware, but I want a software solution

I would like to make all the files and folders to all my hard disks (that are external) to appear as if they were all in one disk

and I then to use this hypothetical disk as a database of all my files and folders so that I can check if a file is already there or not

thanks

Dormouse:
Why not just use a duplicate checker/remover?

Double Killer Pro seems to be well recommended here - https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1693.0

kalos:
because I cannot have opened the external drives all the time and all of them are too many to have them opened, even for a while

(by open, I mean to have them connected to the pc and working)

MrCrispy:
You know what, this is something I've always wanted. Many times I'm downloading something, or saving a file, that I' already have. I want this sort of thing integrated in the file system/Explorer so that when I try to do a file operation it can tell me that the file exists, and where it is.

kalos:
vista introduces 'virtual folders' which I suppose is what I need

isn't there a 'virtual folder' utility for xp? (apart from RAID)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version