ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

are email clients sofware a dead industry ?

(1/5) > >>

tamasd:
Actually wondering.

I have visited some Windows email client software websites, and while still actively developed, the extras they offer (skins, plugins, ....) while plentiful usually date few years back. No recent stuff.

Also few email clients come to mind that went bankrupt (or some other kind of metamorphosis, like Eudora) recently.

Did all the users move to Thunderbird?

Or did all the developers (as the skins and plugins were mostly third party stuff) move over to Linux ?

Sounds to me like this part of shareware market is dying out, or am I completely wrong?

f0dder:
Dunno if it's dying, but between Windows Live Mail and Thunderbird (and exchange for the corporate world), you have to come up with a reaaaaally good product to be able to gain even a speckle of attention.

Dormouse:
between Windows Live Mail and Thunderbird (and exchange for the corporate world) -f0dder (March 28, 2008, 08:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
Gmail persuaded a lot of people to switch out of conventional clients too.

Shades:
I always liked FoxMail (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/E-mail/E-mail-Clients/Foxmail.shtml) better than all the other clients...but company rules here say that only thunderbird is allowed.

And as already discussed in another thread on DC....I am in the camp of "will not trust anything personal to any online storage method without a local copy!" so my gmail gets POPped as well".   ;)

cthorpe:
I use gmail's online interface for all of my email, but it is downloaded and retained locally as well to ensure that I always have access.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version