ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Computer will not start!

<< < (2/3) > >>

f0dder:
So, which is your PSU?-Lashiec (March 28, 2008, 08:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
I had money to burn and wanted to eliminate points of failure, so I went massively overkill and got a 750W ThermalTake... but hey, at least that means I only run at ~30% capacity; less stress, less heat from the PSU. At least theoretically :P

Lashiec:
Actually, I was asking which PSU Deozaan has, but I think that if you face computer problems in the future (I hope not!), lack of power won't be one of those ;D

Carol Haynes:
Couple of thoughts:

1) Check all the capacitors on the motherboard - if any are starting to bulge that could be your problem ...

2) How old is the machine? When did you last change the NVRAM battery on the mobo - losing NVRAM can cause odd problems.

3) If you remove everything from the system except the graphics card, one memory stick and a floppy do you still have the same issue? If so it would suggest PSU

Deozaan:
So, which is your PSU?
-Lashiec (March 28, 2008, 08:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

My PSU is an Antec SP-350

Couple of thoughts:

1) Check all the capacitors on the motherboard - if any are starting to bulge that could be your problem ...

2) How old is the machine? When did you last change the NVRAM battery on the mobo - losing NVRAM can cause odd problems.

3) If you remove everything from the system except the graphics card, one memory stick and a floppy do you still have the same issue? If so it would suggest PSU
-Carol Haynes (March 28, 2008, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

1) I checked the capacitors, they look fine.

2) Built the PC myself in May 2006 from all new parts. I did pop out the battery and pop it back in, hoping it would reset the NVRAM. Maybe that was a bad idea, but it's started up since I last popped it out. And actually I vaguely remember buying another one of these batteries because I thought mine had died last year. So it should be newer than the mobo.

3) I already tried removing everything but the CPU and PSU. Is there a reason why you're suggesting these specific items? I could try the video card and 1 stick of RAM but I don't have a floppy drive.

For all of the below, the symptom was that the computer would not power on.

1)
Problem: DVI port on graphics card died.
Solution: Don't use DVI. Only use the other port.

2)
Problem: Motherboard...
Solution: Replace it with the same model.

3)
Problem: A few actually -- Same computer with the DVI problem above. CPU fan came loose too.
Solution: Replace video card & CPU fan. Still didn't work. Replace power supply. Worked.

There are lots of points of failure, and you really need the right tools (physical ones that is) to diagnose them. I don't have those tools, so I just took it into the shop to get fixed.

Not sure if that helps or not...
-Renegade (March 28, 2008, 09:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe I should also mention that as of now, nothing but the power cable and the keyboard and mouse are connected to the input panel. No monitor, speakers, or anything else.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think the POST code should provide some sort of clue what's going on, but I can't decipher it. It also emits a beep code, but the beeps don't match up anything I found at the Abit website and I've since unplugged the PC speaker because I got tired of hearing it beep several times with each attempt, so I don't remember it exactly. I think it was 1 long, 4 short.

Carol Haynes:
3) I already tried removing everything but the CPU and PSU. Is there a reason why you're suggesting these specific items? I could try the video card and 1 stick of RAM but I don't have a floppy drive.
-Deozaan (March 29, 2008, 01:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Some motherboards fail to boot without memory installed - you will just get beeps. A graphics card is useful if you want to see any error messages  :D. You could try known good graphics and memory cards - at least then you isolate that the problem is not the memory and graphics.

I suggested a floppy because you can boot up a floppy of diagnostic tools - or at least a DOS disc. If you don't have a floppy I suppose a single CDROM would do.

If it doesn't boot with a very minimal set of components it is one of three things:

* PSU - try swapping it for another one and see if things improve
* BIOS or NVRAM corruption. Most mobos require that you you not only pop the battery but also move a link to ensure the NVRAM is flushed. Check the mobo manual. Don't forget to put the link back before restoring the battery though or powering up as you will fry your board.
* Motherboard component is faulty or dying.
Good luck - it is a real PITA when this sort of thing happens and a good reason for buying a mobo next time that has a sensible documented BIOS (such as AMIBIOS) where at least you know what the beep codes mean!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version