topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Select the (up to) three Dictionaries you commonly use (from the 14 most popular Dictionaries on OneLook)

Encarta® World English Dictionary, North American Edition
V2 Vocabulary Building Dictionary
Compact Oxford English Dictionary
Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, 10th Edition
Cambridge International Dictionary of English
# InfoVisual Visual Dictionary
Wiktionary
The Wordsmyth English Dictionary-Thesaurus
# The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language
Infoplease Dictionary
Dictionary.com
Online Etymology Dictionary
UltraLingua English Dictionary
Cambridge Dictionary of American English
OneLook.com
Other (add in post)

Last post Author Topic: On-Line Dictionaries  (Read 37200 times)

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: On-Line Dictionaries
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 02:42 AM »
I'm hooked on the ninjaword FARR plugin!  :Thmbsup:

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 10:42 AM »
I like using ObjectGraph Dictionary http://www.objectgraph.com/dictionary/as a panel in Opera, particularly when I'm doing something that requires frequent searches. It's not as comprehensive as other dictionaries, but the search as you type feature is really cool and using it as a panel means you can view definitions and your work simultaneously.
ObjectGraph.png
ObjectGraph2.png
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 10:48 AM by longrun »

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 11:12 AM »
Sorry folks, my images won't attach properly.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 11:21 AM by longrun »

Second Shadow

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2008, 02:27 AM »
Am I the only one who uses The Free Dictionary?

It's really good. I particularly like the included pronunciation (English not being my native language, that's a life saver), thesaurus and related words.

Plus, they have a handy browser add-on (for both IE and Firefox): http://www.thefreedi...onary.com/add2ie.htm

P.S.: they also have an idioms section, as well as specialized dictionaries (Medical, Legal, Financial), a decent encyclopedia, and a section that shows articles from Wikipedia embedded in their website, like this entry for Donation Coder :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 02:37 AM by Second Shadow »

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 04:31 AM »
I like their little games for example "match up". It's a fun way to expand knowlede.

I wish there was something like this for German as well.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 01:55 AM »
I've actually just started using http://www.macmillandictionary.com/ which seems very nice  :D

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2010, 10:04 AM »
The dictionaries I use most often are those that translate from various languages into English and vice versa.  And far and away, the best online (or offline) set of dictionaries I know for this are those offered for free at WordReference.com.  The site offers dictionaries in a number of different languages, but I tend to use those for Spanish most often.  What I love about the WordReference dictionaries is that at the end of each entry, they include links to discussions of that word or phrase in the WordReference.com forums.  You thus get a much more nuanced idea of what the word means, how it's used, where it's used or not used, etc. etc.  It's an amazing resource!  :Thmbsup:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 12:30 PM »
The poll seems to be missing an "OFF-Line dict's only"... I know the world is full of fantastic dictionaries etcetera, but it is so easy (and common) for me to merely Ctrl+RightClick and see the result at once in Babylon, that I almost never will search another place. Due to money, the best of the dictionaries are already a part of my Babylon: Merriam-Webster Thesaurus & Dictionary, Britannnica Concise Encyclopedia, and of course the free Wikipedia, hEnglish Advanced, etcetera etcetera.

Wikipedia is my favourite on-line thingy, but because I am using Firefox  I have some more on-line machines close at hand:

2010-05-20_191459-741.gif

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 02:28 PM »
I know the world is full of fantastic dictionaries etcetera, but it is so easy (and common) for me to merely Ctrl+RightClick and see the result at once in Babylon, that I almost never will search another place.
Curt, I almost started my message (right above yours) by saying that the first place I generally turn for translating to/from English is Babylon.  I didn't say that because 1) I interpreted the original message as asking about online resources, and 2) when I want to get an even better sense of which word to use and why, I'll turn to WordReference.com.  It covers many words and expressions that Babylon omits, and it often offers more nuanced information about usage.  But I agree that Babylon is terrific.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 04:59 PM »
Yes, I agree with you, diva; the thread is about on-line solutions and not about off-liners like Babylon. Otherwise I  WOULD HAVE  displayed this picture from an old thread from year 2007:

08_142308.GIFOn-Line Dictionaries

adi_barb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 06:57 PM »
someone should mention babylon dictionary too  :Thmbsup:

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2010, 10:39 AM »
One vote for dictionary.com, and one for Google Define

Dictionary.com include a lot of etymology information helpful for understanding the deep meaning of a word.

Google Define is very useful when the dictionary definition doesn't tell the whole story, and the meaning of a word is a matter of opinion.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2010, 12:18 PM »
Did someone author a script for Firefox, for 'Google Define'?  :tellme:

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2010, 12:57 PM »
Did someone author a script for Firefox, for 'Google Define'?  :tellme:

You could just install Dennis Khong's Google Define search plugin. (And one of Firefox's most underhyped features since version 3.5 or so is that you can actually assign a keyword to a search plugin from the Manage Search Engines interface which does not require a keyword bookmark, so you get the best of both worlds). I installed it just now and assigned def.
Screenshot - 5_22_2010 , 1_53_23 PM.png

By the way, the mycroft site, although it looks ancient now, still seems to be the best place to find/submit search plugins. I see some people submitting them to the Firefox addons site, but they are not made distinct from other search-related add-ons.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 01:23 PM by daddydave »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2010, 01:07 PM »
-thanks a lot, daddy!  :up:

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2010, 05:14 PM »
You can easily add a "search engine" to firefox for almost every site that has a search form: just right-click into the search field and select "Add a Keyword for this search...", give it a name and a (preferably short) keyword.

Now you can type "<keyword> <search query>" in the address bar and firefox will open the search results of that site. I use it frequently for dict.cc and wikipedia, where this approach works very well. Search forms that are submitted by POST are harder or impossible to use this way.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2010, 06:02 PM »
You can easily add a "search engine" to firefox for almost every site that has a search form: just right-click into the search field and select "Add a Keyword for this search...", give it a name and a (preferably short) keyword.

Now you can type "<keyword> <search query>" in the address bar and firefox will open the search results of that site. I use it frequently for dict.cc and wikipedia, where this approach works very well. Search forms that are submitted by POST are harder or impossible to use this way.

True, that's quicker and I should have mentioned that. Lately I've had a preference for having each search available as both a search plugins and a keyword because of certain add-ons that work only with the search plugins. One disadvantage of this is that sometimes I have to create the search plugin myself, like I did for DonationCoder.