ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

NOD32 - default settings solution

(1/1)

Carol Haynes:
I asked about this the other day in another thread.

If you are like me you fiddle and tweak stuff. Trouble is you end up sometimes with settings that aren't ideal and can't remember what you started with!

I emailed ESET yesterday and got this reply - which seems quite useful to me ...

There isn't a 'reset' button as such, to restore default settings. However, you can quickly reinstall NOD over the top of itself and choose the option not to keep existing settings. This is much quicker than doing a full uninstall and reinstall, and can be done by running the setup.exe file in C:\Program Files\Eset\Install
--- End quote ---

mouser:
that is useful info, thanks carol.

Carol Haynes:
Hmmm .... shame it doesn't actually work (just tried it and it left all settings as I had changed them)

I'll reply to ESET and see if they have a solution.

In the meantime, a lot of the Setup dialogues have a default button (but not all), and for those the default settings appear to be shown in the help file windows.

Carol Haynes:
That was quick ... email response within about 30 minutes ... (something really positive for ESET and NOD32 ... can you even email Symantec any more? Even when you could it took ages to get at best a limp response.)

Anyway:

thanks for the update. I'm sure I've done this before and it did reset all the settings but, if not, then unfortunately I think you'll have to uninstall and reinstall as per your first email.  If it's any consolation NOD is extremely quick to install or remove, it usually only takes a matter of seconds , compared to Norton which I have sat watching uninstall for nearly ten minutes before!
--- End quote ---

I also asked a question about stopping false positive with some NirSoft installers when doing a manual scan. They are password recovery tools which NOD32 doesn't seem to like, and if I run a manual scan there doesn't seem to be a way to exclude them ... response:

Regarding exclusions, if you've got these set up in AMON, then the files/folders are only excluded from on-access scanning, not on-demand scanning.

If you run the on-demand scanner, by default it'll still scan your whole C: drive. However, you can untick the C drive and instead add specific folders or files to be scanned, by using the 'add' button.

Also, the files you mention may be detected by Advanced Heuristics, in which case it may be better to usually scan with AH disabled, and just run periodic scans with AH enabled. (This is recommended anyway, as scanning takes much longer with AH enabled).

If any files are detected heuristically and you believe they are legitimate, you can also zip them and send them to [email protected] for analysis. They usually cannot reply to individual emails as there are simply too many, but if a legitimate file is being wrongly detected then they will update the virus signatures to stop this.
--- End quote ---

mouser:
just the very fact that they have someone who uses the program responding to email inquiries is a terrific sign.
(btw nod32 has a generous student discount).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version