ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

mp3 Audio OUTPUT volume normalizer? Any such thing?

<< < (3/7) > >>

Deozaan:
Well I let MP3Gain do it's thing and am going through several of my songs. It did a nice job. Volume seems relatively consistent. Techno, loud rock, and quiet music all feel about the same volume. I think overall it feels a bit quiet, but since my primary computer isn't working, I'm not hearing it from my good speakers. I'm listening to it from built-in speakers on my monitor that crackle if the volume is up too loud. I'm sure it would sound much better on my good speakers and subwoofer.

I didn't play around with any settings and I wasn't really sure what I was doing. It was easy for me, but the process of scanning and saving changes to all my files took several hours.

Looking in the settings, apparently it's designed to run as a background process with "Idle" priority, so that's probably why it took so long. I could have made it use more priority which most likely would have resulted in a faster scan time.

Dormouse:
Breakaway is available in a form to be used with all players, not just as a winamp plugin.

Hirudin:
I think overall it feels a bit quiet
...-Deozaan (March 29, 2008, 08:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
Good ear (I think)!

I'm pretty sure ReplayGain normalizes to 97% volume... I can only offer guesses as to why...

Deozaan:
I think overall it feels a bit quiet
...-Deozaan (March 29, 2008, 08:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
Good ear (I think)!

I'm pretty sure ReplayGain normalizes to 97% volume... I can only offer guesses as to why...
-Hirudin (March 29, 2008, 10:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

According to the website, it normalizes to about 89db. And yeah, most of my music was in the 90-96db range.

Mr.Fancypants:
I knew it wouldn't take much for this topic to get over-my-head deep.  However, I also noticed mp3gain was always inclined to turn down the volume a bit.  And  I believed it would not otherwise compress out the fullness of the audio files. [lossless.]

That Breakaway plug-in sure got some impressive reviews already.  The author couldn't even hire someone to write a better review than a couple of those.

I'll take screenshots of all theses posts (and the linked pages) for my neighbor. 
I can't think of anything more to add that might be relevant, except that I know he uses gigantic speakers and amplifiers, none of which would fit in the back seat of my car.  So I'm sure the words LOUD and CLEAR apply here somewhere.

I'm just sittin' back watchin' and trying to absorb what I can.  All the input of your experience and your ideas is much appreciated.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version