topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: A quick script to enter some info and have it open some links  (Read 9189 times)

sabot7726

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I play warcraft and very frequently need to look up people and check their equipment, reputation, board posts etc. So far I've managed to do it all individually at the search page I made at http://www.computerw...r.com/ww/search.html, but I know there's a way to make it so I only have to enter the realm and playername once and have it open a website with all those searches done automatically.

It seems as simple as taking in 2 variables, realm and username, then plugging those variables in to the url or feeding it to the page via the form post method.

I was playing with ahk but I'm horrible when it comes to variables, and also couldn't figure out how to make all the pages show up in the same browser window like via frames.

I'm sure someone with some actual coding skills can do this in 10 seconds :p

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
btw, i happen to have a ready script in ahk, so what are the url, parameters & etc?

p.s. a bookmarklet/favelet could do the trick as well.

sabot7726

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well here's an example of what I would use it for. On that page all the searches are geared for Balnazzar since it's the server I play on. I have to kinda hardcode the server variable with hidden inputs and stuff, then pass the playername variable in via the input box. Instead of 4 separate input boxes that are all individually asking for the player name, I'd rather ask once and then pass the playername variable to all 4 input boxes and open them on the same browser page separated by frames or something. :p

I guess I really just need to know how to take the playername and inject it into the <form> code for all 4 :(

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
sabot7726, here's a proto-type of what i had made but i'm still working on the frames. btw, something came up so i'll post this after the weekend.

WoW-Search-main.png

sabot7726

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow sweet :) Can't wait.

Oh to clarify, the thottbot, curse, wowhead and google searches are for anything like equipment and quest information. The armory, forum post, warcraftrealms.com and rep calc search boxes are the only ones that have a need for the realm and name input boxes.

Are you using ahk to make it?

:)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 11:15 PM by sabot7726 »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ok, i managed to squeeze in some time and finished it but i can't test extensively since i don't play WoW. btw, do let me know if any of the site doesn't work. have fun! ;)

-edit: yes, it was done in AHK and don't worry about the "realm" input boxes, it is not used if not required by the website. though i'm not sure of the rep calc site as it uses an extra variable - US/EU, which i had hard-coded as US. let me know if you need the EU parameter.

Search result
WoW-Search-result.png

-edit2: attaching the source.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 10:23 PM by lanux128 »

sabot7726

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It works pretty good :p

One issue is that some of the urls require an id for the server, at the moment its hard coded for Balnazzar...if you made it in AHK I could probably tweak it to say if its this server, use this id, etc.

Also if we added another input we could use it to search for items on wowhead/thottbot/google.

I really appreciate your quick work on this, especially since you don't even play warcraft :p I'd be more than happy to help tweak it so its even more useful for a large number of players. :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
sure, no problem. :Thmbsup: since the script works fine, i'll post the source in the above thread. also, if the included image/icons have any copyrights attached to them, please notify me so that i can remove and re-attach the source without them.