ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Programming in the Linux operating system: where to start?

<< < (5/7) > >>

Armando:
In a slightly different context C# and ruby were also mentioned by several people. f0dder said Ruby might still be a bit young (but it does receive much praises). C# seems to be a good choice too, according to veign and PPLandry (although for Linux, probably not as much even if there's mono?). I'm not trying to hijack the thread here, just trying to get as much info as possible from the experts...  Hopefully, Brandon and others will find it useful too. :)

Gothi[c]:
dont start with assembly. don't stop at assembly, just keep on walking past masochism alley.  find a high-level language you like and start there.
-mouser (April 10, 2008, 08:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm all for high level languages, I'm just not sure if they are good to start with. I think it is very important to know what's behind them. Maybe the ideal would be to do both a high level and a low level language at the same time.

Shades:
Masochism alley... ;D

That describes ASM exactly. At the time when I went to school for my electro-technical studies, a lot of lessons consisted of this kind of programming for Z80 based PLC's (Programmable Logic Controller). When compared to the high level languages ASM is very efficient in (not) consuming computer resources (depending on your skill). And I can tell you, the resources from a Z80 processor are sparse!

ASM should only be done by people that have an exact idea about the functionality of the software they want to create and have the ability to stick to that plan no matter what. Furthermore, they have to be able to think in such small minute steps to create any function readily available in a high level language.

If ASM still sounds like fun, go for it...else forget that you even were considering ASM, better yet forget what it stands for entirely! Asocial Software Masochist springs into mind (thank you for that one, Mouser ;) )

f0dder:
I think ASM is absolutely the wrong place to start. And if you're going to be doing web-programming or clientside database front-ends, you don't really have to bother with it, either.

Now, if you want to write efficient programs and be a fully-fledged programmer, machine architecture and knowledge of assembly is still important, and will continue to be so for quite a while. But starting with assembly isn't necessarily good for your mental health :)

tinjaw:
These last two pieces of advice will settle this once and for all.

1) Trust The Tinjaw.
2) You can see for yourself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version