ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Programming in the Linux operating system: where to start?

<< < (2/7) > >>

f0dder:
Python! Python python python! :)

wreckedcarzz:
Python! Python python python! :)
-f0dder (April 04, 2008, 05:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Did I hear Python? ;D

I have no knowledge at ALL about that language though - all I know (honestly) is that it comes preinstalled on Windows and is available in the Xubuntu Package Manager. I have no idea about Python programming. :huh:

I looked into Perl a while ago - didn't understand it, so trashed it. Might give it a go again... :-\

tinjaw:
Yes, you heard right. Python.  ;)

I believe you misspoke when you said Windows. Python comes pre-installed on Mac OS X.

I highly recommend Python as one's first programming language. I believe it is the easiest language to read. One of the things a beginner programmer needs to do is read a bunch of examples and understand them. Python makes that easy. The language also has features which make it easier to write code too.

My suggestion is to start with How to Think Like a (Python) Programmer.

Anatolie:
Good Perl start here: http://perldoc.perl.org/perlintro.html.

Perl most suitable for me.  It's not preinstalled on Windows XP and I don't know about Vista.

Python is nice language too. :)

wreckedcarzz:
tinjaw, my old (almost 9 year old) Gateway w/ XP had Python preinstalled - and I believe my XP laptop does too. Hmm, strange... :huh: Anyways, I am downloading the PDF now. :)

Anatolie, Perl doesn't come preinstalled on XP or Vista (I use Vista), btw. I'll boot into Xubuntu later and read up on Perl.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version