ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Programming in the Linux operating system: where to start?

(1/7) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
I have recently made a somewhat successful (and exciting) attempt to switch to the Linux operating system, and have chosen to use Xubuntu with the Xfce 4 desktop environment to let me get a good solid chance this time around (I have tried many Linux distributions before, but this one seems to just "work" for me). I have it installed and all is running well so far (updates are downloading, music is playing, Firefox is letting me post, etc).

So I am wondering, if and how can I produce small/basic applications on my distro? According to what I have read about this particular distribution, the desktop environment has many options for developers looking to create items for Xfce.

Could anyone point me in a direction of where to start? I would really love to learn how to make things for Linux, as I have done for Windows.

-Brandon

Eóin:
The most important first question to ask is which language do you have in mind. Pretty all are viable for creating Linux applications so it's your personal preference which should be the main decider here.

Gothi[c]:
First decide what language you want to code in.

I have been developing cross-platform applications on GNU/Linux using the wxwidgets library. This lets me compile my applications for other platforms without having to re-code anything. wxWidgets also uses a native-look (it uses the native operating system to render the controls instead of drawing it's own like QT and GTK do.), so it looks integrated into the platform. You can also use this from python and a few other languages.

As far as IDE's go, I have used eclipse and kdevelop in the past, but mostly I just stick with vim and emacs.

wreckedcarzz:
I am trying out KDevelop now, the designer is similar to that of Microsoft Visual Studio. I like it, but it will be a while before I understand how to work with everything and get an actual application working.

Anatolie:
Hi,
kdevelop is good choice as IDE. For native linux applications gcc compiler and some libraries as Qt or Gtk. My favorite libraries for graphics applications is SDL and Irrlicht.  For simple application I use the Perl. Most applications runs at Linux and Windows without source changes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version