A task at work would be easier if I wrote a program to handle it, so I'm going to try and write a C# Application. As I'm new I thought I might document my progress here so you can tell me if I'm being noobish with something or I've missed things.
I learn best by trying and then improving, so this should help me.
The overview is that we have a program called Squeeze that converts files into Flash FLV files. We have a filestore on the same server and Squeeze has 'watch folders' that when you put a file in the folder it will automatically convert it.
This program will have to
- Check that squeeze is running
- Look in a database or text file to see which files need moving into the watch folder
- Move files in and out of the watch folders
- Move some special files into different folders
- Send resultant files into a network drive
Things that I don't currently know how to do
- Check that a program is running
- Check that a network drive exists and works before sending files to it
- Most unexpected errors
I'll update you as I go along and please chip in if you see a way of helping.