topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: XP boot display problem  (Read 10724 times)

bbudd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
XP boot display problem
« on: March 25, 2008, 08:43 PM »
   Hey-got a problem here and can't seem to find out the solution.
Lately it seems that there's no display when I use any onboot program such as CHKDSK,partion magic,Diskeeper,or Avast onboot check.   It appears that these programs do complete-its just that theres no display on the monitor as they work.
I can't link the problem to any specific install as these programs are only used as required.    Any ideas gratefully accepted.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: XP boot display problem
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 08:58 PM »
Do you have a nvidia graphics card?

I'm nowhere certain that this is the cause, but I had similar problems when I had a GF7600 card, and could only link the problem with installing a newer driver. I don't have the problem now with my GF8800 card, though...
- carpe noctem

bbudd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 10:08 PM »
yes theres a nvidia card-but I've tried card in and card out and same display problem either way-dosn't appear hardware related.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 08:30 AM »
yes theres a nvidia card-but I've tried card in and card out and same display problem either way-dosn't appear hardware related.
It's not hardware related, but my hunch is that some versions of the nvidia display drivers are causing this. I'm not certain, though.
- carpe noctem

bbudd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 07:15 AM »
Still got me stumped.Tried uninstalling video driver thru device manager and physically removeing the card.   Still the same lack of display for boot programs.   You figure a BIO's flash could help??    Thats about the only thing I haven't tried yet.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 08:19 AM »
I don't think a BIOS flash would help anything... probably some other software conflict, wish I knew what :/
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 08:29 AM »
This is a known bug in some versions of nVidia drivers. You need to go to www.nvdida.com and download the latest drivers for your graphics card.

bbudd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 10:15 AM »
tried the latest nvidia drivers-no improvement if anything worse, as it froze up gameplaying
may be time for a new card
been through nvidia site -not much joy there-nothing that relates

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 10:21 AM »
I had the same problem when running two nVidia cards in SLi mode and it was documented in the forums. The problem was resolved with the latest drivers for me.

bbudd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 08:19 PM »
Back to the old video driver.The latest driver really buggered up my display.Still searching the nvidia form .Will replace the card today and see if that helps.
Thanks for the input.
Drives me nuts trying to troubleshoot problems sometimes.

bbudd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 08:47 PM »
Just a update-changed vga card(nvidia512mb 7000) which led to installing new power supply to handle it.
Still no joy -boot problem remains unchanged.

bbudd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 08:49 PM »
Sorry slow reply,but when you have to get parts shipped due to distance-nothing happens quickly.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 08:51 PM »
Have you always had that problem or is a new thing recently? Perhaps image your drive so you can restore it later and install an absolutely basic copy of windows with mobo and graphics drivers only and see if the problem is cured - it could be a problem in your Windows installation. If you don't want to do that run MSCONFIG and disable all startup items and all non Microsoft services, reboot and then try it. If it is a conflict with something else you may be lucky to get it functioning.

bbudd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 07:50 PM »
Fairly recent ,last couple of weeks.   Your right a new install should cure it,I just don't want to reload ALL my programs.  Already have ghost image for restore if needed.  Also I'd really like to figure out whats causing the problem. I'll try selective boot and see if I can get any info.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 03:37 AM »
If it is a windows problem then something is probably corrupted somewhere along the line. If it is really obscure you'll waste no end of time ttrying to track it down and probably won't succeed unless you are very lucky.

If you whave some spare space on your disc you could try using a partition manager to give you a small (4-5Gb would do) partition anywhere on your discs and install a clean Windows XP in there (don't activate it you have 30 days to play). It will appear as a dual boot operating system so you will get a menu when you switch on to ask which installation should boot. Don't worry about installing anything much in the new Windows - just the motherboard driver and graphics card driver should be enought to see if it works. In stall your boottime appilcation and see if it works. If it does it is probably a windows issue.

It is more than likely the display drivers but they are large and cumbersome collections of stuff and are troublesome to try and do anything manually to uninstall or install them. I suppose in an idea world you would completely uninstall all the graphics drivers and ensure that all the files and registry entries are fully removed before installing a new driver. In practice that will probly take you longer to acheive (if it is possible) than reinstalling windows from scratch.

bbudd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 05:09 AM »
As you say-either windows or vga drivers.        Problem consistent with ALL boot app's.                          May be result of winXP SP3 beta-thats about when I noticed the problem.
May as well do a clean install,if I try and removeSP3 everything I installed since won't work anyhow.
Thanks.