ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Backup Guide

Information about Paragon Drive Backup

(1/3) > >>

JeffK:
Just to fill in on the functionality of Paragon's Drive Backup as mentioned in the review.

To make a backup of a complete disk one chooses the menu item "Hard Disk"  One then has the option to make a copy of the hard disk to another hard disk, make a image of the hard disk to the same or another partion or disk (this image may be split into files of equal size for subsequent saving to CD or DVD media), or make an image of the hard disk directly to CD's or DVD's.

To browse a backup volume one right clicks on the archive in the lower panel and choose "Browse Archive".  One can review or restore a partition or files by doing this.

I agree with the reviewer that this latter function is certainly not as user friendly as it could be.  Also while I have not viewed Acronis Trueimage for a while I can imagine it is more user friendly than the Paragon product, especially for more inexperienced computer users.  The ability to view backups just like you can view original files and folders is a very good idea.

Jeff

mouser:
thanks jeff, i will correct the review in terms of the backup of the entire hard disk; strange that you cant select it visually the way you can to backup individual partitions.

in terms of browsing archives - being able to mount and then search and view the contents of an image as if it was a normal hard drive is unbelievably useful when you actually have to find a file..  In this respect Acronis is just way beyond the competition.

JeffK:
I found the commentary of Mark Taw on some file copy type programs useful.

http://www.marktaw.com/technology/Hands-FreeBackups.html

Jeff

mouser:
i'll add a link to it from guide now.

mouser:
i just went back and checked out paragon again - and it seems i was quite wrong about backing up the entire hard drive, in fact the gui works identically, its just a little hard to see that you can select the "enclosing" hard drive in order to back the whole thing up.  you can also select form the left hand tree as well.

i'm ammending the review to this effect and emphasizing the fact the i actually prefer this style of interface over the wizard interface of the others.  i think paragon may definitely be a contender for best drive imaging tool in the future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version