ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

So how long IS too long for a thread.

(1/6) > >>

cranioscopical:

Recent material that's appeared, for example here and here has made me wonder about two things.

1) How long is considered to be too long for a thread?

2) What helps to keep a thread alive and interesting?

Or are the answers entirely subjective?

(Watch for my companion thread entitled "How long is a piece of string?")

Seriously though, what do people consider to be common elements that help to create and keep readers' interest?

Rover:
Don't let 'em get to you suberboyac.    :Thmbsup:   :P

tinjaw:
-cranioscopical (March 25, 2008, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

When somebody who hasn't seen the thread needs to spend more than 10-15 minutes catching up.

If there is a discussion thread on an interesting topic that has caught my interest because of its length, I am usually willing to spend 10-15 minutes catching up to be able to join the discussion. IOW if I think I can gain something from it, I am willing to put in some amount of effort.

2) What helps to keep a thread alive and interesting?
-cranioscopical (March 25, 2008, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

* No "Me Too!" posts.
* New information/opinion at least every other post.
* On a topic I know enough about to contribute. Or..
* On a topic I don't know much about and want to learn.
* Being a new perspective on an older problem. (i.e. Should the Start Menu be completely revamped? or Since now days most people have replaced their computers, should people start making it a common practice to create a "home server.")
* It's a thread that consists of people complementing boosting the ego of Tinjaw.

mouser:
--- End quote ---

when it's one post longer than your own personal interest in it.  ;)

mouser:
in all seriousness, do you think if we added the "ignore thread" option to the forum, so people could mark threads as those that shouldnt show up in "unread topics" list, it might help this situation?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version