ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

XP's slow death is approaching, according to Microsoft's timeline

(1/5) > >>

zridling:
David DeJean has a great article up on ComputerWorld, titled: Windows XP: Going, going... gone?

The approaching death of Windows XP may upset you, but it shouldn't come as a surprise. Microsoft Corp.'s product life-cycle guidelines have foretold the fate of XP since 2001. In fact, Microsoft has been killing off one version of a product as it is replaced with another for years now. But this time around, the approaching demise of XP is getting more attention than, say, the final passing of Windows 2000.... Why? For a couple of reasons: XP is the most widely used operating system on the planet, and its long-delayed successor, Windows Vista, is not proving to be universally popular. The companies that make up the enterprise market for Windows are dragging their feet about upgrading, and on the consumer side there are signs of a rebellion against Vista.

tinjaw:
It think that Microsoft will acquiesce to real world concerns of their Big Cu$tomer$ and extend the life of XP by two or three years. At least Microsoft can accomplish that with out much risk. There is a HUGE risk in saying, "No. Use Vita." when Microsoft knows, from internal experience non the less, that Vista is not ready for prime time in the 24 x 7 x $Millions enterprise arena. Risk mitigation will prevail.

Dormouse:
I agree. If they want to hang on to the monopoly, they will have to release their post Vista windows before killing XP off AND it will have to be much better than Vista.

tbh, it doesn't matter greatly to me. I've got every system installed with Linux too (apart from the Vista laptop and that might change soon as I'm told it has got much slower). I won't be installing Vista on any system that currently has XP and I'll just keep XP going unless it becomes too risky or unproductive.

cthorpe:
I recently upgraded to a brand new PC that came with Vista Home Premium.  All was well and good for a few weeks, and I actually found myself wondering what all the uproar was about.  Vista was running well and everything was great.  Then the crashes started.  I had used XP for years and could only remember a handful of bluescreens.  In a week's time, Vista BSOD'ed on me no less than 10 times.  Some of those occured in the wee hours of the morning and I woke up to them.  Next, programs started refusing to load or unload properly.  More than once, I thought everything was closed and found multiple instances of firefox or winword or even notepad in my process list chewing up memory and spiking CPU for no reason.  Luckily, I had a licensed copy of XP with SP2 available after converting my old PC to Ubuntu.  At this point, if MS pulls support on XP with a major fix to Vista or a new OS, I will jump ship entirely and go with linux. 

Lashiec:
No, no, don't worry, XP is not going anywhere, this is the same old story that already happened with Windows 98 and the like. After all, XP could probably become the second flow of Windows revenue besides Vista thanks to a certain Taiwanese company who assembled a tiny computer that sells for less than $400, had a success with it, and now it's going to release a second version of this small laptop with Windows XP running on it.

And just like Asus did it first, so are other competitors going to do the same in the following months, so it would be quite foolish on Microsoft's part to kill a operating system that is starting to increase its market share again (how ironic). I mean, they want to stop Linux and at the same time, try to erode the increasing Mac market-share. I guess the two OSs are going to coexist until Windows 7 is released and even beyond. Who know, maybe Vista will get killed before XP, now that could be funny ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version