ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Restating Godwin's Law

<< < (2/4) > >>

cranioscopical:
Unfortunately, I'm having trouble figuring out how SQLNotes can be used to solve this problem...

Maybe someone can chime in with some ideas?
-mwb1100 (March 24, 2008, 06:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Grid, I meant Grin

Armando:
EDIT : ok others posted as I was writing this.

Thanks CWuestefeld, I understand your point. Especially the "how-to" part, as jgpaiva noted. I most often enjoy your clever and knowledgeable interventions. But, How many threads or discussions have been disrupted or completely hijacked because of some exaggerated SQLNotes enthusiasm? I think that almost every time SQLNotes has been suggested, it was directly related to the discussion, with maybe a short "threadjacking" as Lashiec said (Like for the EverNote thread -- that I started, BTW). Now, I (and other SQLnotes enthusiasts) can certainly make a personal effort to avoid turning threads into "SQLNotes how-to", but I also don't feel like censuring myself in fear of provoking impatient or intolerant reactions if I can offer help that involves a bit of SQLNotes talking.

CWuestefeld:
Hopefully I didn't present my view too strongly (that's a trait of mine  :-[).

First, it's not like every thread has been intentionally subverted. It's only in the last few days that I've noticed this.

Second, don't change your habits based solely on my views. I'll never claim that I am representative of a normal human. But maybe other people share this peeve.

Third, if SQLNotes is as powerful and flexible as many of you believe, then certainly a mention of it where it could be useful is appropriate.

My personal view is that when such things enter the discussion, the poster ought to keep in mind how it relates to the thread itself. Of course, I've certainly been guilty of thread hijacking in the past. And really, these discussions would probably be much less interesting if we were regimented about thread topicality. So it's really just a loose rule of thumb, I guess.

housetier:
It's hard to be considerate of everyone and still get things done. For some these "hints" might be helpful, while others are very much annoyed by them. Maybe if the suggestions weren't only suggesting sqlnote but alternatives also, it would feel more balanced.

tomos:
Fair point I think (I'm another guilty of "how-to" posts re SQLNotes in that evernote thread)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version