ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Restating Godwin's Law

(1/4) > >>

CWuestefeld:
You may have heard of Godwin's Law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
As a Usenet discussion grows longer,
the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.
--- End quote ---

Lately on DC I'm thinking that we should reformulate that:

As a DC discussion grows longer,
the probability of a suggestion involving SQL Notes approaches one.
I'm sure it's a great program. And for questions where it may actually be a good application, then by all means make the recommendation. But please, let's avoid hijacking the real discussion into a list of the merits of SQL Notes itself, or worse, into a how-to of finding and installing that software.

There is already an miles-long discussion about SQLNotes. Is there any reason that interested people can't be directed to that thread, or to a particular post therein?

(Not that this is my forum, or that I have any decision-making authority about what goes on here. But I personally think that the trend is interfering with the broader course of discussion on DC)

jgpaiva:
While i'm not a user nor supporter of SQLNotes, from what i've noticed, it has come in good faith as a solution for people's problems in other threads.

There are quite a few fans of SQLNotes around here, so i suppose it's normal for it to come up everytime q request/thread fits its use.

While i haven't found it to be anoying, you are probably right about the how-to part.

mwb1100:
Unfortunately, I'm having trouble figuring out how SQLNotes can be used to solve this problem...

Maybe someone can chime in with some ideas?

:D

Lashiec:
I guess SQL Notes always comes into play just because people like the program. After all, its development killed the other monster thread that (ironically) superboyac started, so it must be THE notetaker.

And look, sooner or later most members chime in with their favourite application into a thread (like I usually do with Opera or foobar2000 or...), and a little threadjacking is expected. As long as the thread doesn't evolve into a spinoff of the main SQL Notes thread (AFAIK that only happened once recently), I don't see a problem. Besides, the level of topic derailment in this forum is lower that in other sites :P

PPLandry:
The threadjacking referred here is probably the one relating to evernote 2.2:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=10191.msg106253#msg106253

... which is a september thread, actually "hijacked" by EverNote 3 beta users dissatisfied with the major shift in version 3 from a local app to a web app. As SN can do some of what EN can, some enthousiast users pointed to it as an alternative to those totally against a web app.

Perhaps, discussion lasted a bit too long, but I only responded when many users mentioned that they could not figure out how it works. Hopefully this will not happen again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version