ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Stellent viewers.. what exactly are they?

<< < (3/4) > >>

PaladinMJ:
ok that makes some sense now. I've used quick view plus since version 2 and have loved it. Though now I'm still trying to decide D.Opus or X2. I like booth but can only justify supporting one. But instead of hi-jacking my own thread I will start a new one after I've read all the related threads available on DC. Now where is my license for QVP??

cmpm:
http://www.kalio.info/Desktop_Search_Comparison/

there's a comparison

this is probably on that best desktop  search thread but i haven't read it

Curt:
Now where is my license for QVP??-PaladinMJ (March 27, 2008, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Outside USA the prices are in between of $52 and $65 for 1 'PC home-user' copy of QuickView Plus version 10. Version 9 was $52 including the CD. I cancelled my order...

f0dder:
So, basically stellent == quickview?

This has two benefits - speed, as you're not opening multiple RAM and CPU intensive programs just to view a document, and security, as any nasties that shipped with the documents aren't opened. So, if someone e-mails you something, or you want to view a file that you've found online, you can save it to a location on your harddrive and view it's contents - with the formatting retained - efficiently and safely.-Darwin (March 27, 2008, 11:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ho humm, unless the viewers are based on all-new-code, they could still be affected by security flaws associated with the filetypes... Might be safer than, say, firing up office, but I wouldn't feel 100% safe just because I'm using "quickview" and not the full app.

CWuestefeld:
unless the viewers are based on all-new-code, they could still be affected by security flaws associated with the filetypes
-f0dder (March 27, 2008, 07:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think it's a pretty safe guess that they ARE based on a separate code base. It's pretty unlikely, I think, that MS would have given them the Office file loading code (as one example).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version