topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Share Large Files Immediately With Eatlime  (Read 8719 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Share Large Files Immediately With Eatlime
« on: March 22, 2008, 11:49 PM »
Saw an article about this web site at LifeHacker recently:

http://www.eatlime.com/

If you register you can upload files up to 1 GB. Without registering you can go as large as 100 MB.

And the really neat part is that your friends can start downloading the file while you are uploading it!  If you test it by uploading a large file there and then start downloading the same file, you are getting the file back virtually in real time.  Brilliant!!

Jim

Follow-up Notes:

1) In the comments at LifeHacker some are recommending http://www.pipebytes.com/ because they have no size limit on files uploaded. However they allow only one download and then auto-delete the file.   :o

2) Also, a commenter at LifeHacker says that Eatlime previously did business as YouSwap.com and that many times uploads would suddenly fail with I/O errors. I haven't yet confirmed this myself though.   :huh:

Jim
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 12:00 AM by J-Mac »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Share Large Files Immediately With Eatlime
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 12:51 PM »
I like it, but I don't see how to delete what you have uploaded.

Is it automatic after a period of time or there forever.
I didn't register, but I tested it and it works great.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 01:18 PM »
I don't know -- I tested it and it worked great here also; but I didn't think to try and delete it!

Another issue I have:  I can't seem to access their Privacy Policy. When I click on it the page jumps a bit but nothing happens. The page is excluded from Ad Block Plus and I allowed popups for the page; no dice. I didn't have time to try Opera or IE yet.

Jim

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 01:28 PM »
hmmm, interesting

It's fast and easy to use.
Bookmarked it for future use too.
We'll see if it is dependable over time I guess.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 05:13 PM »
Lifehacker also seems to be suggesting filedropper.com which will take files up to 5GB - no upload progress meter though (so they say - I haven't tried it).

From the filedropper website:-
FileDropper.com was created as a fresh alternative to sites like MegaUpload and RapidShare. Unlike those sites, we do not reel the user in and make them wait for annoying countdown timers. We do not hide the download link with aggressively placed ads.

Our goal is simple, to offer the most basic file hosting service so you can share your stuff quickly.

How long are the files kept?
The files are kept forever as long as they are being downloaded.

Is the upload size really 5 GB?
Yes.

Why is FileDropper doing this?
To make the process a lot simpler, and because we know how annoying it is to not be able to share files.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 05:20 PM »
Another issue I have:  I can't seem to access their Privacy Policy.
I don't know that I would worry too much about privacy if I were using this sort of service. I'd always make sure that anything I uploaded was very well encrypted and that should be that.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 05:43 PM »
Thanks for info Dormouse.

File dropper works well too.
Got it bookmarked.

I never transfer sensitive data that openly anyway.
So privacy is not a problem.

Though how long the file sets there is a concern when there is limits set.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 05:56 PM »
I don't know that I would worry too much about privacy if I were using this sort of service. I'd always make sure that anything I uploaded was very well encrypted and that should be that.

So it is OK for them - or any online service - not to have a privacy policy because we should all be careful? I disagree; it is still a matter of trust to some extent! My opinion anyway. :)

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 06:01 PM »
…Our goal is simple, to offer the most basic file hosting service so you can share your stuff quickly.

<<snip>>

Why is FileDropper doing this?
To make the process a lot simpler, and because we know how annoying it is to not be able to share files.[/color]

None of these services are doing this just because they like us.  I do wish that companies providing free applications or services would come clean and tell us how they're making their money from their respective applications/services.

Statements like the above by Filedropper always make me feel a little itchy for some reason!!   :o ;)

Jim

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 06:28 PM »

So it is OK for them - or any online service - not to have a privacy policy because we should all be careful? I disagree; it is still a matter of trust to some extent! My opinion anyway. :)

I don't really disagree. It's just that I don't trust anyone.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 06:34 PM »
None of these services are doing this just because they like us.  I do wish that companies providing free applications or services would come clean and tell us how they're making their money from their respective applications/services.

Statements like the above by Filedropper always make me feel a little itchy for some reason!!   :o ;)

Agreed. Even stranger when the site has a couple of small google ads that appear to be advertising competitors!  :D

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 06:54 PM »
Yeah, I'm losing trust also.

As for the Google ads, I have seen that so often I choke: When asked why they provide some programs free of charge, the developers respond that the advertising is how they make their money. Really? A few little Google Ad-Sense ads? Makes me wonder what other kinds of ads are supporting them. Like maybe the ads generated when they sell our email addresses and/or other personal info?

All in all, I somehow DO tend to trust private developers whose software I pay to use more than the freebies. Although I'm pretty sure that this concept is also very wrong - thinking that because I pay for their products that they are somehow more worthy of my trust!

Jim

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 07:00 PM »
No request for email addresses to upload. I'd use a temporary one anyway for a site I did not completely trust.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 11:26 PM »
I use shup. It has a desktop application that can upload screenshots to its servers immediately as well.