topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: editor or wp (on disk) to give rtf code for web forums  (Read 5424 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
editor or wp (on disk) to give rtf code for web forums
« on: August 27, 2011, 02:33 PM »
Hi Folks,

Sometimes I post on a forum whose editor lost its color formatting capability.  Yet it still reads the formatting code properly (bold, italics underline, color, size, maybe font .. color and bold and italics are what I mostly use). So I can go to another forum, prepare a post, change it with the toggle mode to code-level and then copy that code over.  

However, I would rather do it in an editor on disk.  Is that easy in Atlantis or Abiword or RightNote or TreeDbNotes or KeyNote or OpenOffice or this or that ? Or perhaps a code editor ?  Something nice and light.  I may end up using this to save a copy as well, as forums vary on archiving, per google and crashing threads.

Sometimes I compose in Eudora, it would compose and usually cut-and-paste nicely (forums vary some) the rtf formatted text (which won't work for my problem forum, it needs the underlying code). And the Eudora "view source" level seems to be for incoming mail and too cluttered. And while Eudora has decent search, I would rather archive in a special folder-smart thing.

So far, I looked in RightNote, but did not see a "view source" type of button. I could write the developer, I was quite impressed with the bar and help layouts overall.

Your thoughts appreciated.

=================

Oh, it should be able to take my pics from Abbyy Screenshot Reader, that are passed through the clipboard.

=================

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 02:38 PM by Steven Avery »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: editor or wp (on disk) to give rtf code for web forums
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 12:58 AM »
perhaps this freeware (Text Edit Anywhere) with the combination of BBCeditor looks like it might do the trick.

Text Edit Anywhere

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 02:34 AM »
Hi,

Thanks. Interesting.

So far I have not figured out how to get the hotkey to bring text back and forth.
Although I can cut-and-paste. I gather the point of TEA is simply to automate
the moving of the text back and forth from the window in focus to the editor and
then back, using the hotkey. 

BBCEditor - I also got two Online-Armor prompts about connecting to another computer.

Then the biggest question.  I seem to be editing BBCEditor in the code mode,
and it shows up in the finished rtf mode.  I like to edit in that finished rtf mode.
Now I understand I create the code mode by using color and underline buttons,
etc.  However my comfort zone is to type in colored rtf text, and see the
code in the other window, which is the reverse I think.

Shalom,
Steven

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 03:40 AM »
How about something like this?

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=25352.0

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 08:56 AM »
Hi,

I'm struggling a bit with the installer.
Does it want Net 4.0 ?

Steven

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 12:17 PM »
Yes, the installer requires .NET 4.0.

I have packaged a portable version and attached it to this post.  I cannot guarantee it will run, or at least run without crashing if you do not have .NET 4.0 installed.

The project itself is also Open-Source (Source available on the link in my previous post) and I am no longer supporting updates for it.  However, I think in its current form, it should be more than suitable for what you need.

-Stephen

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 02:23 AM »
Hi,

Well I'll probably load Net 4.0 and give it a whirl. I'll probably look for that Net tool that tells you about all the versions on your disk. Net you can't clean up as well as Java, you gotta live with a couple of versions at one time.

If the editor works good, I will use it a lot.

Does your editor have me writing on a page that is in color and font mode rather than <-code-> style mode ? That is my key issue, and it looked ok at a glance.  I was surprised with the alternative to be writing in <codeland> even if the application of the code is by pressing buttons.

Steven
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:27 AM by Steven Avery »

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 11:35 AM »
Does your editor have me writing on a page that is in color and font mode rather than <-code-> style mode ?

Nope sorry, everything appears like it would in the [nobbc][/nobbc] tags.

I'm currently trying to resolve some issues with my Visual C# installation (For some reason, it won't let me sign any of my software, which also means I cannot build them, and when it does build...it wont build a portable version anymore.

Once I have resolved this, I will locate my source for ForumPad, and maybe add some extra features into it :)