ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

[SORTED] how big is a webpage :) broadband - 1 or 10GB?

<< < (2/3) > >>

f0dder:
I live in .dk, ~€50/month for 20/1. They upgraded me to 20/2 for free, but apparently the copper quality wasn't good enough, so it was more like 12/1.2, so I asked them to put me back at 20/1 instead.

Renegade:
An extra gig is €20? That's insane :o
-f0dder (March 21, 2008, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Especially considering that bandwidth @ $2.00/GB is expensive... (You can buy it for $0.18/GB through Amazon S3, but that's servers, not home use.)

Makes me glad that I live in South Korea. Bandwidth is like water here. I'm pretty sure that I chew up more than 10GB per month, as I can chew 1GB in a day fairly often. I kind of feel sorry for everyone that can only get metered accounts.  :wallbash:

J-Mac:
An extra gig is €20? That's insane :o
-f0dder (March 21, 2008, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Especially considering that bandwidth @ $2.00/GB is expensive... (You can buy it for $0.18/GB through Amazon S3, but that's servers, not home use.)

Makes me glad that I live in South Korea. Bandwidth is like water here. I'm pretty sure that I chew up more than 10GB per month, as I can chew 1GB in a day fairly often. I kind of feel sorry for everyone that can only get metered accounts.  :wallbash:
-Renegade (March 21, 2008, 09:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

@Renegade:

Is that Amazon S3 bandwidth? Or storage/Disk space?  I thought that was disk space but could certainly be wrong about it.

@tomos:

Problem is that the wireless companies, at least here in the USA, charge for overages by the KB rather than GB. They don't make all that money they rake in by being generous, that's for sure! Here it is almost always beneficial to go with the higher plan if they are uncertain how much they'll use. Unless they become locked in for a long period of time. If they want to be careful and try to save as much as possible, they should go with the 1 GB plan and use it normally but track usage daily. If they get too close, stop for the rest of that month, and then jump it to the next level the following month.

Jim

J-Mac:
Tom,

If you want to calculate a representative bandwidth monthly for your friend, let's try it.

Average web page = ~200 kb   (That's a little high, I think; Yahoo is about 70 - 80 kb/page while CNN is about 200 kb/page).

Assume he will download (view) 20 web pages daily:  200kb X 20/day =  4,000 kb or 4 MB daily  (I'm using nominal conversions rather than actual)

For a monthly total, say 4 MB/day X 31 days = 124 MB or .124 GB/month.  Allow a factor of 1.5 or 2.0 for "financial safety". That makes it .124 X 2.0 = .248, or about a quarter GB per month.

Now that's assuming viewing 20 pages daily only. No ringtones, games, etc. downloaded. If you want to include something for that (and I certainly would!):

Allow ~ 5 downloads a day @ ~ 100 kb/download = 500 kb X 31 days = 15,500 kb / 15.5 MB / .0155 GB X 2.0 safety =  .031 GB / month

Add that to the web browsing and it's about 0.248 + 0.031 =  0.279 GB

Remember, though: 20 web page views daily is extremely minimal.  I'm using that only if your friend is financially prudent.  In reality if he is going to be checking email also he will be up at or near the 1 GB limit.

Hey -- Wait a minute - Is this for browsing on a mobile phone device? Or tethering?  (Using the mobile device to connect a PC to the web.)

If a PC, get the 10 GB plan at a minimum!!

Jim

tomos:
Renegade,
true they actually charging by the kb
thing is too in the first month they going to have to get about a 100 updates for windows...

Hey -- Wait a minute - Is this for browsing on a mobile phone device? Or tethering?  (Using the mobile device to connect a PC to the web.)
-J-Mac (March 22, 2008, 01:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

it's pc using mobile phone network - "tethering" new word for me but that's it allright
So I recommended her the 10GB -
you know the way anyways. once you start you just cant stop. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version