topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 6:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Google Desktop Search and NOD32 problems resolved.  (Read 4363 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Google Desktop Search and NOD32 problems resolved.
« on: October 20, 2005, 12:26 PM »
Just received an email from Eset (the company producing NOD 32 AV solution).

There was the following information:

Google Desktop Search

We are very pleased to announce that Google have just released a new version of Google Desktop that fixes their incompatibility issue with NOD32. The new version can be downloaded from http://desktop.google.com.

Good news ...

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google Desktop Search and NOD32 problems resolved.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 01:48 PM »
I just tried installing the latest GDS when it came out and was surprised to find that it worked with NOD32! It's great. Though I think GDS is a bit of an overkill.. I have it installed, but I find myself simply having no use for it.. I read newsfeeds in Thunderbird and I don't seem to have much of a need to search around for anything on my system because I already know exactly where everything is because I keep my system in order.

The scratch pad is kind of cool.. but then I use it far too rarely for it to be very useful to me. The system monitor is ok, but I can't say that I care too much about that kind of info. The news stuff only steals away even more of my time.. I already have about 20 blogs/newsfeeds to read every day.. not to mention forums and emails... it's quite the overload. The email checker is cool, but then I keep Thunderbird open almost always so I don't have much use for it...

To sum up, I don't see myself re enabling the autostart entry for GDS or even starting GDS anytime soon... what's your take? How do you use it?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google Desktop Search and NOD32 problems resolved.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 03:09 PM »
I must admit I feel the same as you. I have never tried GDS because of the NOD32 issues but I have tried the others (MSN, Copernic, etc) and ultimately uninstalled them because they took too many CPU cycles when you least want it, and made the hard discs chunter away constantly.

Like you I can pretty much find what I need quickly 'cos I have a storage system, and I generally remember where things are stored.

My problem is remembering what I had for breakfast!

I only mentioned it here because I know some people wanted to use it and had issues.