Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 30, 2014, 04:20:36 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Free DonationCoder.com Member Kit: Submit Request.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Supercharge Your Camera with Open-Source CHDK Firmware  (Read 5073 times)
brotherS
Master of Good Ideas
Honorary Member

To make a difference, be different.

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 04, 2008, 09:50:16 AM »

Fascinating! ohmy  thumbs up

Digital cameras have powers beyond what is immediately available to the user. On a standard Canon, for example, the fastest shutter speed option offered is 1/1,600 second, but the hardware can handle much more than that -- up to 1/60,000 of a second.

CHDK, the Canon Hacker's Development Kit, is an open-source software project that can be loaded on cameras using Canon's DIGIC II or DIGIC III firmware platforms. [...]

http://howto.wired.com/wi...Open-Source_CHDK_Firmware

Thank you.
CWuestefeld
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 01:13:00 PM »

That is awesome! Thmbsup

I've got a Canon A710IS. It's a great little camera, takes great pictures. But I've wanted to be able to experiment with RAW data and HDR photography (which requires bracketing), neither of which is supported.

But this provides both of these, and about a thousand more.

mrHappy
Charter Member

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 03:43:45 PM »

Been toying with this the last couple of days, but I just can't get my camera to take pictures in RAW format no matter what I do.
And that really sucks since I was so happy when I found out my camera was supported and I could finally take pictures in raw.
Hopefullu I'll figure out somehting to allow me to do it.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who have friends.
kfitting
Charter Member

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 06:33:18 PM »

I looked at this, I dont have any cameras that support the firmware, then got looking at HDR... wow!  I found this freeware program and have been trying it all afternoon.  qtpfsgui

Kevin
Armando
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 06:07:21 PM »

Very cool. I'm going to have to try that now...

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
WhaleWatcher
Participant

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 08:20:48 AM »

I thought this was the answer to my prayers until I discovered the fix only applied to Canon cameras, does anyone know anything similar for the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 camera?

tellme

Digital cameras have powers beyond what is immediately available to the user. On a standard Canon, for example, the fastest shutter speed option offered is 1/1,600 second, but the hardware can handle much more than that -- up to 1/60,000 of a second.

CHDK, the Canon Hacker's Development Kit, is an open-source software project that can be loaded on cameras using Canon's DIGIC II or DIGIC III firmware platforms. [...]

http://howto.wired.com/wi...Open-Source_CHDK_Firmware
johnnylately
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 10:04:26 AM »

I've loaded several builds on my A710, TONS of new options!  I saw this about a year ago and wanted to toy around with it but forgot about it until a few weeks ago when I took a Photography workshop at Great Smokey Mountains Institute at Tremont http://www.gsmit.org.  We spent quite a bit of time with histograms (I didn't know mine had that!) and Photoshop.  When I got back home I checked through some old links and found the one for CHDK and decided to try it out.  The one snag was you have to use a SD, not SDHC (so the flash memory limit is 2GB).  It's super simple to load and you can make it load automatically or just boot without it since it doesn't replace the camera firmware, just adds/opens up features.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.038s | Server load: 0.02 ]