ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A new paradigm as the ultimate defense

<< < (2/3) > >>

cmpm:
Bandwidth would be the issue.
For a high traffic site like this it is not cheap.

There is no problem duplicating the site.
But there would be to duplicate it's functionality.

TucknDar:
Yes, cmpm, which is a good reason to look at an inexpensive extra "meetingpoint" (not exactly backup) which could just be a blog (tons of free ones) with comment section and possibility to download the software.

I'm sure mouser et al will come up with something great :)

tinjaw:
Hm, not too sure what this is about still, but that's probably since I woke up at 5.30am today :p
-TucknDar (March 20, 2008, 05:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I know what you mean. I am often foggy headed when I sleep in that late.  ;)

tinjaw:
Redundancy. That's all you need. Any system admin worth their salt already knows there are best practices to this. All it takes is people, time, and money. Hence the reason it's not always feasible. But it is *technically* trivial to do.

DNS: You have round robin to multiple servers.
Physical Servers: logical, physical, and geographical separation of mirrored boxes.
Application and Database servers: clustered and separated as with physical servers.
Backups: As often as are required to appropriate media.

etc.

In other words, it is *easier* to make sure DC doesn't go down, then it is to build and coordinate a completely separate and parallel system.

CodeTRUCKER:
Yes, yes, yes these are all good ideas, but they are all based on the preset technology, the present paradigm.

Maybe it would help if I framed this as a kind-of pretend game?  The only rules (parameters, really) as to what "your" picture/perception (invention?) should be like is the ability to connect it to some means of present technology as a link or a stepping stone.  Let me give you an idea on another technology.  I'll call it the "Plasma Drive."

First some baselines,

-=o=- Present memory is held in place due to electromagnetic forces held within a physical framework, eg., the "chip."

-=o=- Since the "chip" is a physically delineated entity, it is finite.

-=o=- Plasma is energy in flux and in disorder, but it is not limited by finite "physical" boundaries.

-=o=- Theoretically, the energy within the Plasma could be ordered via other external and stronger electromagnetic forces.

-=o=- If the above were true, then the particles in the Palsma or at least a region could be "defined."

-=o=- If Plasma regions could be "defined" then it could be possible to set these "regions" as bits, 1 or 0.

-=o=- If this could be done then a memory core could be "defined" as a 3-D "grid."

Now, with all tis as a foundation...

-=o=- With only technology limiting the defined "bits" and therefore quantity of memory, then the storage capability could approach infinite as technology allowed for ever greater precision of the "regions" in precise subdivisions.

-=o=- Voila` - the Plasma Drive that eventually can handle an EB of EBs in a "case" the size of a sugar cube!  Who knows, since the reions are no longer tied to a simple on-off state, perhaps each "bit" could become a "superbit" capable of having multiple states?  How powerful would that be!

Ok, granted, this is far-fetched to our perception today, but back then even Bill himself couldn't conceive of anything larger than 640K, right?

As we go forward with this "game," try to let go of all the present perceptions and see what your fertile minds can spawn.  I realize that this doesn't seem to have a connection with the present need (fall-back), but who knows if some far out idea might provoke a new way of using the present resources?

I hope this helps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version