ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A new paradigm as the ultimate defense

(1/3) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
On the heels of the attack against DC recently, I began to wonder if a different kind of thinking, a new paradigm shift might provide the ultimate defense against attack?  I really don't have my head around all that I'm thinking yet, but I wanted to ask if you erased the mechanics of DC and redrew it on a clean white sheet, what might it look like? 

I'll post later as the fog clears, but I wanted to provoke a discussion.

Please only post positive ideas at this juncture as there will be plenty of opportunity later to criticize.  I would like to let the creative juices flow for a while.

Thank you,
CodeTRUCJKER

TucknDar:
I don't know what you mean. Do you mean like a new kind of forum? Or having backup solutions?

CodeTRUCKER:
I don't know what you mean. Do you mean like a new kind of forum? Or having backup solutions?
-TucknDar (March 20, 2008, 05:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not really putting any kind of parameters on this right now.  Having conversed with you sometime back, I know that the area of your expertise is rife with methodical and worn-out models and your vision is to impact that sphere with some fresh ideas.  I'm kind of trying to provoke the same "fresh thinking" thing here so whether I'm suggesting a "new kind of forum" or "having backup solutions" I'll let you decide for now.  Explore either, both or something completely "out of the box." 

I only ask that all criticism, pessimism and gainsaying be stayed for a time to encourage germination of something yet undiscussed or perceived.  Responses I've received both public and private tells me that this discourse has merit.  I just hope the naysayers will restrain themselves.

TucknDar:
Hm, not too sure what this is about still, but that's probably since I woke up at 5.30am today :p

Anyway, I suppose there could be some sort of minor backup solution. I take it it would be quite expensive to have complete mirrors of DC all over the net, but maybe a "just-in-case-place" where there could at least be blog+comments possibility so the community could be kept up-to-date on progress.

Personally I'm in the IRC channel pretty often, so I'll get my DC fix there, but if the server went down again a redirect to something like DC@Blogger or whatever should be fairly simple and inexpensive.

justice:
By now you should get the idea: the IMGolden PC is a Linux Based PC with no hard drive. When you start it up it boots a version of Ubuntu Linux that's stored in a non-volatile memory module. It's kind of like running Ubuntu from a Live CD except that the Live CD is actually in permanent memory. As is the case with a Live CD, there are a whole bunch of programs pre-installed and ready to use, including Open Office and Firefox.

It's a clever idea with some immediate advantages. Every time you boot the PC it comes up in exactly the same state as the last time you booted it. Indeed, in exactly the same state it left the factory. And of course the operating system running from memory is much faster than running from a CD.

As there is no hard disk, there is nowhere for malware to hide. Any infection resident in normal memory (RAM) is destroyed when you power the machine off.-http://techsupportalert.com/issues/al_current.htm
--- End quote ---
tada ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version