ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Wanted ... Photo to DVD archiving tool

<< < (2/4) > >>

moerl:
I meant Elements for its strenghts in photo archiving and organization, not for its image editing tools. It's true though, it isn't exactly cheap.

tsaint:
have a look at Imatch at http://www.photools.com/ if you're still in the market for some image management s/w

Carol Haynes:
Thanks - IMatch looks like a really nice tool, but reading the website the one function it doesn't seem to do is archive images. All the file/media management functions appear to be aimed at importing images and viewing CD snapshots off 'offline'. You can produce CDROM based webpage-style galleries, but I can't see anything in the manual for this being automated for large collections that sprawl over multiple DVDs. In fact it suggests backing up your files separately.

What I want to do is to be able to offload all my images to DVDROM to clear space on om HardDisc (currently there is about 12Gb of data taken up with photos). But I still want those photos to be instantly accessible. Archive Creator does that - you can insert any disc in the set and see thumbnails of the entire photocollection, and will tell you which disc in the set to insert to get the original files. It just seems a little expensiive for that one function (IMatch is the same price but does a lot more).

tsaint:

Ive got a dvd filled with images, plus a few hundred meg of "pending" images on my hd. I can see thumbs of all my images (without dvd inserted), wherever they might be without loading any external media.
If I try to open an image by clicking on the thumb, if the image is on a dvd, Im prompted to insert the relevant dvd.
Hope this helps.

Carol Haynes:
OK - right I'll check it out then. Did you just copy your photos to CDs/DVDs manually and then delete them from the hard disc or was it possible to do it in a more 'managed' way? Sorry but I find the unindexed 520 page manual really hard to use!

Out of curiosity how much HD disc space is taken up by the thumbnails?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version