topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:13 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: "Grivitation-like" paradigm would have helped in the interim  (Read 38823 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: "Grivitation-like" paradigm would have helped in the interim
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2008, 12:15 AM »
I seem to remember an unused donationcoder group on stumbleupon, as well as there being an IRC channel.

By the way, the same day this site went down, so did my chatroom and it's still down (my pc died and I can't host it). But it seems that everyone from my chatroom was able to find each other in 3 other rooms on 3 other networks (one of them being donationcoder's irc channel). Part of the reason is because we are pretty close as a group and know each other well, and have communication on a regular basis outside the chatroom...email, instant messages, other communities like this one (I have brought many of my group here). We are more than just people that meet in a chatroom...we are friends.

If we are truly friends here, then we care enough to have contact and find a way to do it outside the forum long before the forum has an issue. It's kind of an automatic thing.

If you were completely cut off from the people here that you care about when this site went down, then take that as a sign that you need to strengthen your friendship bonds a bit more then you have.

It's kind of like the physical workplace where you see and talk to the same people every day. How can you call any of them friends when all the contact you have is only at work? You don't have a phone number, address...never spent any time together outside of work. If your place of employment burns down to the ground in the middle of the night, it's likely you will never see them again. That's not a friend...that's an acquaintance.

Because if they were really your friend, while the place of employment is going up in flames, you know where to find them, and are probably either on the phone with them talking about it or are some place in person with them talking about it....because the bond transcends the place and spills over to elsewhere.

At its core, this forum is no different than things in real life. And online & off, friendship works the same way.

If you were cut off completely, WE don't need to do something...YOU do. And I am pretty sure you know what it is YOU need to do.  ;)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 12:25 AM »
If we are truly friends here, then we care enough to have contact and find a way to do it outside the forum long before the forum has an issue. It's kind of an automatic thing.
IRC is one great place :) - but more never hurts. I still think the idea of a decentralized forum is nice, even if I haven't thought out just HOW that should work :)

I agree totally with the rest of your points too. Which reminds me, I should hunt down Jibz :)
- carpe noctem

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 12:32 AM »
fascinating as this might be, it's getting a bit heated and I just can't help wondering what the issue is here

I get that trucker is looking for a different conceptual approach, but to what end?  Guarantee'd access to the forums???

I (like a lot of others) 'suffered' through the DC downtime, but ultimately it didn't really affect anything, ie the site was down, the issue was resolved, and the site came back up again (the world didn't end, and everyone is still here).

I probable that any such solution would be pretty resource hungry (cash, equipment, labour, etc) in the short term, and possibly longer.  How much I don't know, nor do I know whether or not the DC crew would or could support it, but I can't help feeling that guaranteed access to the forums (or anywhere, for that matter) to be an unreasonable expectation

Target

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 12:33 AM »
Imho, probably it shouldn't be revealed who are moderators and who are not, at least not in avatar status text. Perhaps it should be visible on a special subpage... that way, people with moderator powers can talks as themselves, without worrying "which cap they are worrying". I have much faith in people here not abusing their powers.

That way, we could focus solely on friendly discussions without bringing irrelevant topics in. Yes, I'm naïve.
- carpe noctem

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 12:35 AM »
Andersen, WORDZILLA, or whatever, I'm sick and tired of your patronizing hidden agendas and intent to cast dispersions.  I find your last attempt completely reprehensible!  How dare you attempt to cast demeaning inferences on my character!!  In short KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!  Incidentally, you are the only one on DC that has ever received those kinds of thoughts from me ever.     Congratulations!  Why?  Because you attempt to pass off your inflammatory and fetid bigotries as casual banter peppered with cuteness.  If you were to have enough integrity to openly communicate rather than repeatedly use innuendo I would have more respect for your views, but since you continue to vomit out your putrid bitterness toward Gri undercover I find you unpalatable.  Further, it makes me wonder just how much of the conflict between you and Gri was only Gri?  If you have a problem with Gri, then GET OVER IT and grow up!  There will be many people that will rub you the wrong way all your life.  If you can't come to terms in yourself about Gri, I fear you have a tough road to hoe.

Mouser, enough is enough!  I have kept my peace and have bent over backward for two-years and will continue to do so, but when I see a double-standard I will no longer remain silent or restrained.  

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2008, 12:37 AM »
... If you were cut off completely, WE don't need to do something...YOU do. And I am pretty sure you know what it is YOU need to do.  ;)

Thank you for the sentiment, but I was not cut-off completely; however, it would appear that there are different circles of friends about.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2008, 12:42 AM »
I dont' see what WordZilla is doing wrong, sorry. On the other hand I don't see Gri's stuf as an evil, but it has certainly been weird, spammy, mostly incomprehensible and out of place/space :)
- carpe noctem

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2008, 12:56 AM »
I dont' see what WordZilla is doing wrong, sorry. On the other hand I don't see Gri's stuf as an evil, but it has certainly been weird, spammy, mostly incomprehensible and out of place/space :)

FYI -  I pre-wrote this because I did anticipate that someone would come to Wordzilla's rescue.  My question is why would you rescue him and not me?  You needn't worry about me losing sleep over this as I only used it as an example.  I'll give Mouser credit for confirming my remarks and a desire to get the thread back on track, but still others took up the mantle.  Where were you heroes when I was being repeatedly flamed in the "monster threads"?  This is what I was talking about when I stated "double-standard."  Again, I ask any thinking person, "How fair is that?"

Now, DC and others are a voluntary association and as such can form itself into anything it wants or is led to by the leadership.  I DO NOT ADVOCATE CORPORATE OR STRUCTURAL BEHAVIORIAL FORMATION BY LAW OR WRIT.  A voluntary association is a private entity to itself and autonomous in that regard.  I have no wish to force anyone to do anything and have no interest in implementing directives to manipulate a community.  A government run amok is the progenitor of these initiatives.  On the other hand, let's call a spade a spade, a heart a heart, a diamond a diamond and a club a club.  Let's refrain from the hypocrisy of criticizing one "outside the circle" in an effort to protect one "inside."  Yet, if this is the identity of the association, then I have no right to change it, but I do have a right and a duty to point out the injustice born of dishonesty and favortism, nay nepotism.   

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2008, 01:02 AM »

Oops, I forgot to enumerate...

-=o=-  Hijacking a thread with the injection of his own bitterness toward Gri.
-=o=-  Continuing to defend his position after being cited publicly by the leadership.
-=o=-  Using inflammatory words (remember he is "Wordzilla").  He knows what he is doing regardless of how innocent he wishes to appear.
-=o=-  Casting dispersions on the character of another long-time member.

How can this be defended?

I took a lot of bashing in the threaeds for various reasons.  If you will recall, some even defended me (not my actions) stating that the treatment was harsh.  At that time I chose to hold my tongue in an effort to let thoughts germinate and mature, but I no longer see this as a good course of action because it will kill what we have all been trying to nurture.  If the community is not willing to let the sauce for the goose also be the sausce for the gander, then hypocrisy will reign and cliques will form ruining any chance for a cohesive whole to ever emerge.

Edit: Further thoughts.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 01:09 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2008, 01:07 AM »
I dont' see what WordZilla is doing wrong

Same here. Maybe CodeTRUCKER would care to explain why he found Wordzilla's last post inflammatory?

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2008, 01:08 AM »
CodeTRUCKER: Imho mouser is a heart and a diamond for keeping this whole thing :-* in place (I love how many different people are here, and on IRC we can do those topics that fit in here at all) , and beyond that - **** calling names etc. But Gri seems to get on the nerves of a lot of people.

Can we leave it at that, and return to friendly? :)
- carpe noctem

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2008, 01:17 AM »
CodeTRUCKER: Imho mouser is a heart and a diamond for keeping this whole thing :-* in place (I love how many different people are here, and on IRC we can do those topics that fit in here at all) , and beyond that - **** calling names etc. But Gri seems to get on the nerves of a lot of people.

Granted.  I had anticipated a response, but not anywhere near this caustic.  In my defense, I know of no other initiative that sports a collective, distributed model which is why I used "Grivitation."  Also, I've always stated that Mouser is a cut above! :Thmbsup: 

Can we leave it at that, and return to friendly? :)

Yes, if the basis of the "friendly" is on a foundation of integrity and not favortism.  How "friendly" we can stay will depend on future postings to this thread and the responses to those, but I have no intention in allowing incorrect verbiage or innuendo to stand, not because I am anything, but it is a dis-service to future readers to allow innaccuracies to go unchallenged.  Besides it was the holding in of all my feelings about inequities in some threads that provoked me to take a decisive action some time ago.  I won't hold in anything that needs to be addressed any more.  It is not healthy for me or the community.

Edit: Clarifications
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 01:22 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2008, 01:22 AM »
Granted.  I had anticipated a response, but not anywhere near this caustic.  In my defense, I know of no other initiative that sports a collective, distributed model which is why I used "Grivitation."
-CodeTRUCKER
And that is quite fair. Hate :P to say it, but I think that he's right at least in that the traditional forum model could do with a work-over. And some entirely new ideas. I think that Gri's ideas are both too radical and conservative, though.

As for friendly: this requires care & condieration from all parts, and delibarete "under-consideration" as well. Things get totally out of hand when we over/mis-interpret eachother, everybody here need to calm down a bit. Things are getting slightly heated, try to mediate via PMs? Just a suggestion.
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2008, 01:34 AM »
Let's stick to technical discussions for the most and leave the rest for when it's really called for -- otherwise people are going to burn out and new visitors will wonder why people are getting so worked up over stuff that doesn't seem to call for it.

There are going to be plenty of opportunities in the future for all of us to express strong opinions and get worked up and debate vigorously, etc.  Let's just save our energies for those times and get back to constructive stuff.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2008, 01:38 AM »
I have to agree with Mouser... I do tend to get tangled in political and other non-appropriate discussions, because those are hellishly interesting. But even though I'm a hypocrite and can't help myself engaging in somewhat-inappropriate stuff, I do agree that we should move it elsewhere.

The IRC channel seems a lot more suitable.

Anyway, I hope we can get back to a discussion on how we can distribute this forum to combat future attacks! :Thmbsup: :-*
- carpe noctem

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2008, 01:57 AM »
CodeTRUCKER:
I'm not a man who habors negative hidden feelings against someone and take surreptitious nasty actions against him, if I have a problem I either speak it out and have it resolved or choose not to worry it should resolution fail. I've consistently spoken out and taken open actions against Gri's activities (which are "weird, spammy, mostly incomprehensible and out of place/space", like f0dder said) and kept the admins notified, there isn't anything hidden. I moderate boards (also take preventive methods) to keep things clean on this forum so everybody will enjoy DC community and I don't have the luxury of going personal against anyone. Do we hate spammers and DOS their servers in retailiation? No, we just delete their spams and move on. Gri happened to be one of those who made life miserable for us (esp. for me), so I remember him, that is all.

You have made direct personal attacks against me publicly, well that's probably fine with me. I have no interest in more exchanges that might deeply upset folks here. But be warned that further attacks will be taken seriously.

'innuendo', or rather 'diplomatics', as mouser would say, is essential to every healthy and growing community. Everybody makes mistakes/blunders and annoy other people from time to time, often repeatedly (I'm no exception). I'd say something is much better left unsaid and forgotten as time goes by when you deal with community relations. I'm very outspoken person and I can be v v open, direct and public with you, but I choose not to, for it'll be unnecessary and hurtful.

Let's just calm down and move on to strict "technical" stuff, as folks on IRC chan kindly suggested, shall we? :)

EDIT: added first paragraph.
EDIT: I just promised mouser that I'll no longer participate in anything non-technical in this thread.  :)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2008, 04:03 AM »
As far as politics/religion I could care less because if anyone thinks the government runs this country is ignorant of history.  If you will do due diligence in researching a single topic to the point where the whole picture emerges you will understand my perspective.  There are others, but one will suffice: 
The Federal Reserve Bank.  While this is presently a privately-held American corporation (no, it is not a government entity) it and its global counterparts have global implications.  This isn't an opinion or a political view, it is fact.  Just do the math.

My apologies to all that have to endure this discourse, but as I said it does no service to others to let inaccuracies stand.  Also, my past efforts at righting wrongs via PM always left me with an unanswered letter as I attempted to hash out differences.  No, the time for silence has come to a close. 

To the leadership... Frankly, I'm fed up with an undercurrent of partiality in some cliques and intend to provoke an action of my permanent dismembership or hopefully see the errection of a standard that holds everyone to the same standard of conduct based on "who you know."  Further, it needs to be a matter of record and that would not be the case on IRC. Thusly, I post here.

I seriously hope that "I" am not being discussed on IRC without the courtesy of a PM informing me of an invite or what is being discussed.  If I am not, then you are to be commended.  If I am, you should be ashamed for it is gossip.  FWIW - I recently received a PM from a very prominent member inquiring of my communications with another member expressing their offense at the otherr member.  I returned a generic response befitting the situation.  I have tried to express before that I percieve a cancer proceeding at a glacial pace that will eventually consume our precious community if not checked.  No, no more hiding the ugly things under the rug.  If the leadership chooses to take action and I can't see that they cannot, then that action will set the tone for DC's future and either be Cody's salvation or destruction.  I realize that there is the power to cause this whole thing to evaporate by completely eliminating this thread and myself as a protagonist, but that would only ensure Cody's doom like the black hole that insures its own ultimate destruction as it dies in its own heat-death as it turns in upon itself in ever-accelerating cycles. 

From the outset at DC I have established myself as a man of integrity and truth, now you will see I am a man of courage.  Correct the wrongs in an honest way and I will silence my words.  Allow those that are culpabalis prit to go unanswered and I will answer.  So is DC going to be a place of partiality or a place of integrity? 

"Tempest in a teacup," some would say, but any that would dismiss this as such a trifle is blind to the gangrenous malady that is the real reason for such conflagrations.

Mouser, having an insight as to how this sort of thing vexes your heart, I am sorrowful that other avenues have not availed a solution, but I think I have a view of what your vision is and has always been for DC and it is for that vision that I enter into any fray undaunted in order to protect that which is held dear to both of us and others here.  Compatibility has always been an unanswered question.  You can't please everyone and you can't have your cake and eat it too.  I wish you wisdom in any action you may deem necessary, but for me, I'm through sitting on the fence.  DC is far too valuable.  

CodeTRUCKER:
You have made direct personal attacks against me publicly, well that's probably fine with me. I have no interest in more exchanges that might deeply upset folks here. But be warned that further attacks will be taken seriously.

Wordzilla...

Once again you attempt to take the high ground by suggesting someone other than yourself was the instigator.  You shouild not look at my words as "personal attacks," but rather the discipline of a youth that thinks to highly of his place and has too great a confidence in his "buddies."  I'm persuaded that the leadership will not support you in your offenses, but I could be wrong.  C'est la vie.  I did not personally attack you, I specifically pointed out where you "Wordzilla," presumably a "Master of Words" chose innuendo and suggestion casting dispersions on another long-time member as a result of your error in associating my recognition of the goals of Grivitation as my condoning Gri's actions.  Sorry, you missed the target on that one.

As far as your "warning," You may have the power, but it will be an abuse of that power to protect your own personal interests that will nag you until you make it right and in the fleeting world of cyber-relations you may never have a chance to make it right.  I am 50 years old and I know whereof I speak.  To not be able to say "I'm sorry" to one that you will never be able to contact again makes for a cruel taskmaster.  Give thought to your actions.  Regardless, I will not be intimidated by your threat.  If you wish me to be silent, then choose actions congruent with integrity.  I have no grudge with you but, I am terribly disappointed in your actions.  I wish you no ill, but you should reckon carefully who you throw the gauntlet down in front of.  If I am banned, it will be an empty victory for you as others with integrity will rise to take my place.  There are others.

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2008, 04:37 AM »
You are both smart enough to see that you fail to communicate with each other. So why do you keep trying in this thread. Just let it be, both of you. You don't have to debunk anything when it's not on topic - so don't even try to. There is no point in threatening each other what you will do when both of you failed to behave.

Let me rephrase that: YOUR ARGUMENT IS A FAILURE SO STOP IT.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2008, 04:48 AM »
You are both smart enough to see that you fail to communicate with each other. So why do you keep trying in this thread. Just let it be, both of you. You don't have to debunk anything when it's not on topic - so don't even try to. There is no point in threatening each other what you will do when both of you failed to behave.

Let me rephrase that: YOUR ARGUMENT IS A FAILURE SO STOP IT.

Your words too are also faulty.  Please explain two things...

-=o=- What did I do wrong?

-=o=- Where and who did I threaten?

You do wrong by making a homogenous statement blending two diametriaclly opposed intents rather than stating fact.

Please note, I'm not attempting to "pick a fight" with every kid on the block, but I will not be intimidated for standing for what is right.  If you had not posted an inaccuracy, I would not have replied.  My actions should not be construed as one-sided bigotry.  I can enter into even a friendly discourse with those that hold strongly opposing views if it is done without malice and vinegar, but if innuendos, ploys, manipulations, etc. present their ugly heads then those that attempt such things will find they will not do so unchallenged.  After two years I've had my fill of the subtle, social and even secretive few that attempt to pass off their bigotries with cuteness and pseudo-neutrality.  Just tonight, I received a PM communication expressing their grief at the events on this thread.  Not all here are critical of my rebuttal. 

Edits: For clarity
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 05:02 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2008, 04:59 AM »
The idea of failover communication is very attractive to me. So attractive indeed that I have been practicing it for years: I communicate per forum, email, instant messaging, IRC, telephone, snail mail, and face-to-face talk.

Using the various electronic means of communcation is a second nature to me, it just was convenient so I used them and still do. Other people might not have the time (or the brains) to develop such a scheme. I wonder if and which backup plans others have. If efnet where to vanish I would just use a different network more. If icq keeps disconnecting people I suggest jabber or irc. If I can't acces my regular email accounts, I create a new one and send an email to a few select people who will help spread the word. If my telephone stops working I fire up ekiga and try this voip thingie. If I don't have stamps for my letters, I deliver them myself...

However, if DC.com goes down I cry.

I think #donationcoder on efnet is a very good failover communication means for me; although one must not forget that nothing on IRC lives long. Forums are so much better at archiving than IRC. For me it is enough, others will want to keep "the history". Apart from mirroring the forum I can't think of an adequate replacement.

One should not have to make a huge effort to reach those alternative means (*I* would be willing to do so, but I can't expect that from others). In case of an "emergency" we could update DNS and users hopefully wouldn't notice, except for the time it takes for the update to propagate.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2008, 05:08 AM »
I'm not the Mod, but perhaps it is better to restart this thread.  If you have positive input about the topic, please post in the new thread here.

Please refrain from criticism for a while to allow free reign to uninhibited thoughts and ideas.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 05:13 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2008, 10:16 AM »
I stopped reading the rest of the posts in this thread at reply #39. I tired of reading a flame war.

In protest I will no longer read or post in this thread.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2008, 11:18 AM »
Consider this my protest as well. I am sorry, but CodeTRUCKER, I am sick of reading your threads. You make unnecessary references to things that need not be resurrected and instead totally miss the entire point of what you are trying to accomplish. A flame war was the only outcome I could even forsee of mentioning gri. I am sorry, but I am now placing you on a permanent ignore and will be ignoring your threads. This is the second time you have turned what would be a good idea into something that I think you actually want to happen, a flame war or way to attack others. It makes me question your real motives and makes me wonder what you are really trying to accomplish here. Dont bother apologizing to me, I for one am done. DC is a great place and I really dont want to be involved in watching it be ruined because of one user's desire to spur flame invoking threads or posts.

By the way, posting a new thread does not obsolve you of what was started in this thread. Please, do the right thing in the future, THINK about what you are posting before you do so. Stuff like what has happened here and in your other thread which resulted in you deleting all of your posts (juvenille) can easily be avoided by thinking before posting.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:27 AM by Josh »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2008, 12:39 PM »
Let me be clear... I'm not apologizing for wrongs I did not commit.  I don't live in a world of PC (political Correctness) and I am not going to start here.  Wordzilla's actions were wrong and the forum's inaction toward him was wrong as well.  It left a void which I filled and as usual the forum didn't like the response.  This is nothing new.

I have written enough and any with ears to hear will hear and any that have eyes to see will see.  The rabid blind will continue to tear and rend that which their narrow bigotries are incapable of comprehending.

This thread is my protest.  My words are ended.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2008, 01:28 PM »
gri analphabet here... Could someone please explain to me what's that all about and how does it work?