ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Visual CD is pretty incredible catalogue software

(1/5) > >>

zridling:
Make sure you check out BooZet's freeware Visual CD for listing files, folders, folder tree structure, file details and lots more. It has more than I ever would have imagined, including a File Splitter and a Duplicate File Finder that works well! It will export to an htm or text file, and you can even include thumbnails within the htm file of image files. Highly customizable throughout, you get a surprise when you open the Help menu > Registration option.

Its author, Budy Setiawan Kusumah, has three other programs listed on the BooZet's Free Software site. He just released Double Driver, which backs up every single driver on your system to separate folders. Really nice indeed. He loves feedback and even has a forum on the site for user responses to his software.

Nighted:
This looks great, I'm going to try it out today.

Not sure why I would need a file splitter in a cataloging utility though...maybe I do!

mouser:
looks quite interesting.

there are several nice free cataloging tools, and those who have lots of cds of their files stored and have trouble locating them would do well to investigate such programs, they can really be a life saver.

people might be confused a bit with the description of Visual CD since it seems to do a bunch of things, but the basic idea of a catalog tool is you pop in your cds, it saves an internal list of what's on them, and then later you can quickly search through this list whenever you wants without needing the cd in the drive - it will help you figure out the file you want is on cd #232 so you don't have to go searching one by one until you find it.

the bigshot tools for this is the shareware program WhereIsIt: http://www.whereisit-soft.com/

anyone can tell us experiences with other disk catalogers?

ps. this is definitely a category that could use a long thorough review.. anyone up for it?

Nighted:
I currently use Advanced Disk Catalog and have used Super Cat (I think that's what it's called).

ADC does exactly what I need it to do and fast....so I really haven't needed to look around for a few years now. I am going to try Visual CD though as there are some features I'm hoping it has and I like the idea of using HTML to enhance database files.

If anyone else it interested I'd be willing to go in on a co-op review...

brotherS:
I currently use Advanced Disk Catalog and have used Super Cat (I think that's what it's called).

ADC does exactly what I need it to do and fast....so I really haven't needed to look around for a few years now. I am going to try Visual CD though as there are some features I'm hoping it has and I like the idea of using HTML to enhance database files.
-Nighted (October 20, 2005, 06:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm looking forward to your review, even if it's a short one. I've been wondering for a looong time if I should use such a program... do these normally have an option to import/export the database from/to a different program?

Especially cool would be a plugin for the new, great Google Sidebar ( http://desktop.google.com/en/ ), that would allow Google to (locally) index the CDs/DVDs lying around by using the database of the catalogue tool.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version