ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Mobo Mystery

<< < (4/5) > >>

cranioscopical:
I have just filled out the webform for tech support from Asustek. I'll let you know what they reply. The auto reply claims a 48-hour turnaround.
-tinjaw (March 18, 2008, 09:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

So what did happen?

lanux128:
let me guess, Asustek reneged on their 48 hour response and tinjaw decided to get a new mainboard, instead. :)

Carol Haynes:
Not a dumb question, but I have tried that. Removing the video card results in the proper beep code (1 long - 3 short). Removing the memory results in the proper beep code (1 long repeating). I can't remember what it did when I removed the CPU and tried turning it on.

I have just filled out the webform for tech support from Asustek. I'll let you know what they reply. The auto reply claims a 48-hour turnaround.

Thanks for all the help. I suspect my ultimate answer will be, "It's dead, Jim". Oh joy. Time to built the server from scratch all over again.  :(
-tinjaw (March 18, 2008, 09:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

If it is dead have a look for the same mobo / CPU on eBay - you can often pick up these things dirt cheap and if it works you won't have to rebuild your system after it is up and running.

f0dder:
* f0dder beats ASUS around with a big thorny stick.
My testbox (P5K-VM board) started giving "chassis intrusion detected!" messages (and system lock...) at random during boots, about a week ago... this required a CMOS clear (removing the battery etc.) in order to get the system running again. Then, Thursday night, something started smelling funny, and the CPU fan stopped dead. Ugh. Furthermore, the BIOS hardware monitor showed the 12v power running at 0.6V, not good. CPUfan works fine on another board, and PSU works fine in another box, so my assumption is that the board is fried.

Turns out that the company I bought the board in has gone bankrupt - it has done a "Phoenix" trick so it still exists (now owned by another company, though, I think) which is nice and all... except the "new" shop won't handle RMA on products bought before the resurrection. Bummer.

To make matters worse, it seems ASUS only handles RMA on their notebooks, and that all other products have to be RMA'ed through the reseller you bought the product from. I even called their .dk branch, but that was one of those automated phone systems, which ended up saying "visit http://support.asus.com" - great.

Pretty displeased, I am. On the way to the dark side with aaaaanger, I am. Not feeling like spending $150 on a new board when the old one should be handled by warranty, I am. Contemplating sneaky trickery, I am.

Carol Haynes:
ASUS guarantee is 3 years on mobos and it is with ASUS not the reseller. They may prefer you to use the reseller network but if the reseller is gone they still have a contract with you the buyer.

If you can't get any joy from ASUS dk try contacting their main office direct (preferably by telephone). If you still don't get any joy try asking another local reseller to submit the RMA on your behalf.

If all else fails go to your local trading standards office and get them to negotiate on your behalf.

I have to confess when I had an ASUS board ho duff on me they told me (in the UK) they had an 8 week turnaround on mobos which is ridiculous and totally unacceptible. I am not proud of what I did but I simply bought a new mobo from a reseller and returned the old one as faulty for a refund! Didn't bother them and sorted out my issue instantly. Of course if the mobo is no longer in production or the version number has bumped this may not work!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version