ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Mobo Mystery

(1/5) > >>

tinjaw:
I have a Asus A7V8X-X motherboard that is acting down right odd. I spent two days building a Windows 2003 Server with RAID. All was just fine. I unpluged it from the office and moved it downstairs into the basement. When I turned it on I got beeps and it won't finish post.

It is an Award BIOS.

When I power on it starts up just fine. It gets to the point in the POST just after it has autodetected the HDDs.

At this point I get three short beeps. Then I get 4 short beeps and the 4 short beeps continues until I shut down power. When the 4 beeps start repeating the video also starts flashing on and off at about 1 Hz.

I have stripped it down to just Mobo + CPU + 1 DIMM + video card.

This is the same with three identical CPUs. Two different video cards. Three different sticks of RAM.

CPU fan is fine. PSU fan is fine.

I used a PSU tester and all voltages are to spec and steady.

I cannot find *anything* on the Net about such a thing as this.

Any ideas?

lanux128:
might be heat-related problem, do you have a heater unit in your basement? btw, take a look at this page, it may help you decipher the beep codes.

mouser:
yeah first step is figuring out what the beep codes mean.

tinjaw:
That's just it. According to the internet there is no such beep code. That is why it is such a Mystery.

As for heat, yeah, that was what I originally thought was the problem, but an hour in a cold room didn't fix it. Nor did sitting overnight in the cold room. That's when I started to swap out parts and the problem persisted.

f0dder:
Tried putting a PCI (as opposed to AGP and PCI-e) video card in it? Might be the AGP or primary PCI-e slot (depending on what the board uses, too lazy to look it up) that's somewhat damaged?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version