ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool

<< < (48/52) > >>

superboyac:
That user would be me!  Yes, I still haven't fixed this on my home computer.  It was working fine until I had to do a clean reinstall of Firefox.  Now I can't get it to work.  Maybe I'll try rebooting also, since I haven't rebooted in a month or so.
-superboyac (April 23, 2010, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
You might want to look at browser.link.open_newwindow in about:config
-TucknDar (April 23, 2010, 01:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
Bingo!  TucknDar for the win!  :up:

Outertech, this solved the problem for me.  If this helps you guys with your settings, please keep it in mind.

Outertech Support:
Hmmm... not sure I'm understanding this correctly. I was under the impression that Linkman could launch URLs in existing tab even if other external links launches in new tabs, which is what I would like. I remember Opere worked like this with Linkman. I already had this working when all external links would open in existing tab, but I'd rather not keep doing that, only for Linkman.

Did I misunderstand something?
-TucknDar (April 23, 2010, 01:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
Actually, that's a good question.  Outertech will need to answer that.  Can FF be setup so other applications open in a new tab, but Linkman opens in an existing one?
-superboyac (April 23, 2010, 01:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

There is an old windows tech called DDE. It was used a lot with Windows 95. Applications can communicate with DDE. Unfortunately DDE is slow and has also some limitations, e.g. the data length (e.g. a URL path) is limited to 255 chars. The Netscape browser has supported DDE. When Mozilla and Firefox 1.0 came to life from the Netscape codebase the DDE support was still there. You could send a URL to the active firefox window using DDE. With the convertion from version 2.0 to 3.0 the DDE implementation in Firefox became very buggy and unreliable. This is the reason why many URL managers had trouble implementing Firefox 3 support. Since DDE is an outdated technology that remains with Windows only for compatibility reasons, nobody at Mozilla has the motivation to fix the DDE problems.

Outertech Support:
That user would be me!  Yes, I still haven't fixed this on my home computer.  It was working fine until I had to do a clean reinstall of Firefox.  Now I can't get it to work.  Maybe I'll try rebooting also, since I haven't rebooted in a month or so.
--- End quote ---
--- End quote ---

Outertech, this solved the problem for me.  If this helps you guys with your settings, please keep it in mind.
-superboyac (April 23, 2010, 07:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

How have you changed this value?

superboyac:
--- End quote ---
--- End quote ---

-superboyac (April 23, 2010, 07:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

How have you changed this value?
-Outertech Support (April 24, 2010, 08:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes I have.  I changed it to 1.  now everything opens up in the existing tab.  i don't like that very much because even when I click on links in a forum, it opens up in the same tab, which is not my preference.  but I use Linkman so much now, that I can live with that.

TucknDar:
There is an old windows tech called DDE. It was used a lot with Windows 95. Applications can communicate with DDE. Unfortunately DDE is slow and has also some limitations, e.g. the data length (e.g. a URL path) is limited to 255 chars. The Netscape browser has supported DDE. When Mozilla and Firefox 1.0 came to life from the Netscape codebase the DDE support was still there. You could send a URL to the active firefox window using DDE. With the convertion from version 2.0 to 3.0 the DDE implementation in Firefox became very buggy and unreliable. This is the reason why many URL managers had trouble implementing Firefox 3 support. Since DDE is an outdated technology that remains with Windows only for compatibility reasons, nobody at Mozilla has the motivation to fix the DDE problems.-Outertech Support (April 24, 2010, 08:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
So the Linkman feature of opening in current Firefox tab isn't actually a Linkman feature? Too bad, but no deal breaker ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version