topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool  (Read 247937 times)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool
« Reply #225 on: March 25, 2010, 01:24 PM »
if I click on one of the four Linkman icons on Firefox when Linkman isn't open, clicking on any of these icons will also automatically open Linkman.

Thanks for this! I didn't know this behavior had changed. I don't use LinkMan every day, but I had resigned myself having it start at startup just so it would work when I needed it. Now, thanks to your news, I can go turn off it's auto-starting setting.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #226 on: April 12, 2010, 09:03 AM »
Linkman 7.9.0.30 is available for download.

<b><i>Changes since 7.9.0.0</i></b>
<ul><li>Firefox 3 Import converts tags to Linkman keywords (this was not trivial to implement, as Firefox stores tags in a weird and inefficient way)</li>
<li>Firefox integration will now load Linkman on demand (if not already loaded)</li>
<li>Added Modified (Date) column to Query areas in main window, search window and Desktop Toolbar</li>
<li>Closing the search window with the Escape key will restore focus to browser</li>
<li>Improved support for less known browsers such as Avant</li>
<li>Keyword list window trims leading and trailing spaces from keywords</li>
<li>You can add tabulators to comment text by pressing shift + tab</li>
<li>All reported bugs have been fixed</li></ul>Shareware Version (Linkman Pro, $25, 30 day trial):

Homepage: http://linkmanpro.outertech.com
Download: http://download.oute...h.com/linkmanpro.exe

Freeware version (Linkman Lite):

Homepage: http://linkmanlite.outertech.com
Download: http://download.oute....com/linkmanlite.exe

--

Tutorial video (Linkman 7.60): http://linkmanvideo.outertech.com

PDF Manual: http://www.outertech...om/files/linkman.pdf
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:06 AM by Outertech Support »

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #227 on: April 22, 2010, 04:24 PM »
After the release of Build 30 we have received (linkman[at]outertech.com) more than 10 mails from users suggesting that a "Page changed" column should be also added to the query and search window. So we have a new build (7.9.0.32) with this feature added.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #228 on: April 22, 2010, 07:30 PM »
 :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #229 on: April 23, 2010, 02:19 AM »
<b>Firefox can now be configured to launch links into existing tabs.</b> (Tools | Settings | Launch URLs)
-Outertech Support (March 08, 2010, 11:35 PM)
I can't get this to work... I've got this setting in Linkman Lite 7.9.0.30 but launching URLs always opens a new tab in Firefox (3.6.3). Is there some special setting in Firefox I need to change? I've tried several options in the about:config configuration (the ones you get when searching for 'browser.link') but to no avail. Any help much appreciated!

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #230 on: April 23, 2010, 07:54 AM »
One other user reported this problem, but after a quick look it could be proved to be a firefox issue.

At first check if firefox is configured to launch external links into new tabs.

about:config
search for open_external
browser.link.open_external should be set to 1

if it's set to 1, then go to start menu and type:

http://www.google.com

Firefox should launch Google in the existing tab. If it opens a new tab then there is some problem with Firefox on your system (maybe an addon?).

A clean install of Windows 7 and Firefox 3.6.3 or 3.6.4 does not open a new tab with browser.link.open_external set to 1.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #231 on: April 23, 2010, 01:08 PM »
<b>Firefox can now be configured to launch links into existing tabs.</b> (Tools | Settings | Launch URLs)
-Outertech Support (March 08, 2010, 11:35 PM)
I can't get this to work... I've got this setting in Linkman Lite 7.9.0.30 but launching URLs always opens a new tab in Firefox (3.6.3). Is there some special setting in Firefox I need to change? I've tried several options in the about:config configuration (the ones you get when searching for 'browser.link') but to no avail. Any help much appreciated!
That user would be me!  Yes, I still haven't fixed this on my home computer.  It was working fine until I had to do a clean reinstall of Firefox.  Now I can't get it to work.  Maybe I'll try rebooting also, since I haven't rebooted in a month or so.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #232 on: April 23, 2010, 01:19 PM »
Hmmm... not sure I'm understanding this correctly. I was under the impression that Linkman could launch URLs in existing tab even if other external links launches in new tabs, which is what I would like. I remember Opere worked like this with Linkman. I already had this working when all external links would open in existing tab, but I'd rather not keep doing that, only for Linkman.

Did I misunderstand something?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #233 on: April 23, 2010, 01:24 PM »
Hmmm... not sure I'm understanding this correctly. I was under the impression that Linkman could launch URLs in existing tab even if other external links launches in new tabs, which is what I would like. I remember Opere worked like this with Linkman. I already had this working when all external links would open in existing tab, but I'd rather not keep doing that, only for Linkman.

Actually, that's a good question.  Outertech will need to answer that.  Can FF be setup so other applications open in a new tab, but Linkman opens in an existing one?

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #234 on: April 23, 2010, 01:37 PM »
That user would be me!  Yes, I still haven't fixed this on my home computer.  It was working fine until I had to do a clean reinstall of Firefox.  Now I can't get it to work.  Maybe I'll try rebooting also, since I haven't rebooted in a month or so.
You might want to look at browser.link.open_newwindow in about:config

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #235 on: April 23, 2010, 07:30 PM »
Bingo!  TucknDar for the win!  :up:

Outertech, this solved the problem for me.  If this helps you guys with your settings, please keep it in mind.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #236 on: April 24, 2010, 08:39 PM »

Actually, that's a good question.  Outertech will need to answer that.  Can FF be setup so other applications open in a new tab, but Linkman opens in an existing one?

There is an old windows tech called DDE. It was used a lot with Windows 95. Applications can communicate with DDE. Unfortunately DDE is slow and has also some limitations, e.g. the data length (e.g. a URL path) is limited to 255 chars. The Netscape browser has supported DDE. When Mozilla and Firefox 1.0 came to life from the Netscape codebase the DDE support was still there. You could send a URL to the active firefox window using DDE. With the convertion from version 2.0 to 3.0 the DDE implementation in Firefox became very buggy and unreliable. This is the reason why many URL managers had trouble implementing Firefox 3 support. Since DDE is an outdated technology that remains with Windows only for compatibility reasons, nobody at Mozilla has the motivation to fix the DDE problems.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #237 on: April 24, 2010, 08:55 PM »

Outertech, this solved the problem for me.  If this helps you guys with your settings, please keep it in mind.

How have you changed this value?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #238 on: April 24, 2010, 09:11 PM »

How have you changed this value?
-Outertech Support (April 24, 2010, 08:55 PM)
Yes I have.  I changed it to 1.  now everything opens up in the existing tab.  i don't like that very much because even when I click on links in a forum, it opens up in the same tab, which is not my preference.  but I use Linkman so much now, that I can live with that.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #239 on: April 25, 2010, 03:40 AM »
There is an old windows tech called DDE. It was used a lot with Windows 95. Applications can communicate with DDE. Unfortunately DDE is slow and has also some limitations, e.g. the data length (e.g. a URL path) is limited to 255 chars. The Netscape browser has supported DDE. When Mozilla and Firefox 1.0 came to life from the Netscape codebase the DDE support was still there. You could send a URL to the active firefox window using DDE. With the convertion from version 2.0 to 3.0 the DDE implementation in Firefox became very buggy and unreliable. This is the reason why many URL managers had trouble implementing Firefox 3 support. Since DDE is an outdated technology that remains with Windows only for compatibility reasons, nobody at Mozilla has the motivation to fix the DDE problems.
-Outertech Support (April 24, 2010, 08:39 PM)
So the Linkman feature of opening in current Firefox tab isn't actually a Linkman feature? Too bad, but no deal breaker ;)

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #240 on: April 25, 2010, 07:26 AM »
It's not a Linkman feature, but Linkman 7.90 is always able to open a new tab if the user desires so, also if browser.link.open_external is set to 1 (Linkman 7.80 would open always in the current tab with open_external set to 1).

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #241 on: April 27, 2010, 06:57 AM »
Yes I have.  I changed it to 1.  now everything opens up in the existing tab.  i don't like that very much because even when I click on links in a forum, it opens up in the same tab, which is not my preference.  but I use Linkman so much now, that I can live with that.

This is really not a good solution and I wonder why it works on all our systems without changing browser.link.open_newwindow, as long as browser.link.open_external is set to 1.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #242 on: April 27, 2010, 08:49 AM »

This is really not a good solution and I wonder why it works on all our systems without changing browser.link.open_newwindow, as long as browser.link.open_external is set to 1.
-Outertech Support (April 27, 2010, 06:57 AM)
I don't know.  If you have suggestions, please let me know.  I just am looking for some way to make it work!

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #243 on: April 27, 2010, 08:56 AM »
The only solution I can think of is that Linkman could patch Firefox to always get the desired functionality without messing up browser.link.open_newwindow. We have to do some internal testing first.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #244 on: April 27, 2010, 09:16 AM »
The only solution I can think of is that Linkman could patch Firefox to always get the desired functionality without messing up browser.link.open_newwindow. We have to do some internal testing first.
-Outertech Support (April 27, 2010, 08:56 AM)
Sounds good.
I know I've mentioned it before, but somehow Roboform can always get the bookmark to open in an existing tab.  And it can install/remove the toolbar while firefox is still running, which is pretty neat.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #245 on: April 27, 2010, 10:42 AM »
All Addons can do that, the problem is that external application (as Linkman.exe ) can't, since this API was removed from Firefox last year. I mean unless they use DDE and live with the 255 chars URL limit and some bugs.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #246 on: April 28, 2010, 04:07 PM »
Linkman 7.9.0.44 is available for download.

Linkman is now able to launch links into existing Firefox tabs with browser.link.open_newwindow untouched.
URL Validation can be started from the search window.
Improved Error Messages.
Also several minor bugs have been fixed.

Shareware Version (Linkman Pro, $25, 30 day trial):

Homepage: http://linkmanpro.outertech.com
Download: http://download.oute...h.com/linkmanpro.exe

Freeware version (Linkman Lite):

Homepage: http://linkmanlite.outertech.com
Download: http://download.oute....com/linkmanlite.exe
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 05:21 AM by Outertech Support »

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #247 on: May 11, 2010, 02:20 AM »
We have Build 50 with further improvements to Firefox launching. Linkman is now able to launch into existing tab/new tab/new window, without touching prefs.js at all (browser.link.open_external etc).

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #248 on: May 11, 2010, 08:49 AM »
We have Build 50 with further improvements to Firefox launching. Linkman is now able to launch into existing tab/new tab/new window, without touching prefs.js at all (browser.link.open_external etc).

-Outertech Support (May 11, 2010, 02:20 AM)
Nice!  Thanks for the fix.  I can confirm that it's working very well.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #249 on: May 14, 2010, 03:58 AM »

-Outertech Support (May 11, 2010, 02:20 AM)
Nice!  Thanks for the fix.  I can confirm that it's working very well.
Confirmation from me as well! Thank you, thank you! Btw, just purchased the Pro version ;)

I have a question regarding the folders in Linkman. Is it possible to automatically move bookmarks to folders, based on criteria such as URLs and keywords? My link collection is a mess and eventually I'd like to clean it up. Some sort of auto-cleaning would be very nice.

thanks